Tangent Ampster BT not working!

Associate
Hello all,

My parents have been having a problem with their amp for a while which culminated at the weekend when it just stopped working entirely.

For a few months we noticed that when the TV was off and the amp was supposed to be on standby, it would come out of standby on it's own. And then after a certain amount of time (I'm assuming the idle timer) it would go back into standby mode.
This would seem to happen every couple of hours at a guess.

When the TV was on everything worked absolutely fine.

Anyway, last weekend they came to use the TV and the amp was just seemingly dead. No standby light - nothing.

I had a mess about with it and couldn't fix it with simple things like changing the plug socket, new power wire etc. So I opened it up and noticed 3 lovely bulging capacitors - great! I thought. That's a pretty simple fix.

So my dad swapped the capacitors for new ones, I put the thing back together - nothing. Still doesn't work.

I have however noticed something strange (or not, idk). When I flick the power switch on nothing happens apart from a very low humming/buzzing sound - and I mean very low, you need your ear right up to the board to hear it.
When you flick the power switch off - after a few seconds the standby light will flicker, come on briefly and then go off, accompanied by what I can only assume is the relay clicking.

I took a video of me flicking it on and then off, in the vain hope that it will help!

I'm totally stumped and would really love to be able to fix it if possible.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be eternally grateful!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom