Taylor Swift Eras Tour - Concert Movie

Caporegime
Clearly Music and Box Office rolled into one, so I thought I would create a thread here.

I only know a few Taylor Swift songs, but the amount of hype and pre-sales for this are huge. Anyone here going to watch it? I've never been to the cinema to see a music show, but definitely in the last few years I have noticed some trailers for such things, even if it's an opera or classical concert shown on the big screen. I know there is a Beyonce one coming soon as well.

I did a bit of reading about the Taylor one. Only shown in cinemas on Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun to try to fill the screens and have a concert style feeling for every showing. Limited release for approximatley 4 weeks. 200 million USD in presales. Tickets cost 13.13 in local currency (her favourite number). I checked my 3 closest cinemas and all are already sold out for tonight, including the IMAX screen one!

I suspect this will be the number one film this weekend in the USA (and maybe beyond!).

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
Saw this advertised at our local cinema - not necessarily my cup of tea, but good to see more events like this being shown (which I guess is helping to support Cinemas)

I went and saw Metallica's M72 concert at the cinema earlier in the year - whilst clearly not the same atmosphere as being at the concert in person, was still a great experience, and had a good time chatting to some other fans before the show.
I'm curious as to how much that cost. The Taylor concerts are either 13.13 or 19.89 in local currencies, depending on the country with no special offers or pricing allowed. At 2h45m it's not that much longer than a normal movie but double the cost!

The closest I can think of is once watching the "up in smoke tour" on dvd/download. Didn't feel like a concert, watching at home but I did get to fast forward the songs/performances I didnt like.

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
It was £24.89 for IXMAX for me
Almost approaching cheap actual concert ticket prices!

That's a very odd thing to do with the pricing. I checked my local Odeon and they do still have a £5 mark-up on the LieMax screen on top of the prices you mention.
I'm mostly surprised that she has the clout to dictate the prices, showing times, even change the cinema etiquette by allowing people to make noise ad sing in her showings. To manage that just for the USA would be impressive, but globally even more so.

Anyway, in the end it made number 1 in USA with $92 over the 1st weekend and another 30 mill around the world. Higher prices must have played a huge factor in that.

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
The Beyonce concert film comes out next week....I think it will make less money though, unless she controls the ticket prices like Taylor did.

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
Clever lady $19.89. got to hand it to her. By negotiating herself she gets better money for the cinema and digital release than any normal Hollywood production .

A lot of fans will think "ah cute it's priced after her birthday and album name" and pay it.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom