• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Tbred B to Barton??? Worth it

Associate
hello

at to mo im running a xp tbred at 220x8 2gig

is it worth popin in a barton core n clockin it higher as well, be like 30-40 quid

will the extra on core catch be noticable?? #

cheers

Associate
Rather go for something like this

Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 (Socket 939 & Upgradable to AM2) AGP & PCI-Express Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 939)

Total £86 incl

At least it is atep in the right direction

Associate
The extra cache doesn't make much difference, so it'll only be worth it if you can get a good clocking chip. Possibly a mobile chip with an unlocked multiplier for easier overclocking.
I went from a TBred at 2.3GHz to a Barton at 2.4GHz and I didn't notice any difference.

If you could stretch a little further then Wizardmaxx's suggestion would be a much better solution :)

Associate
OP
ye see what ** saying. think still might just chuck a mobile in and clock it up. Everything is still fast enough at the mo for me and will wate few months for dx10 n vista etc to come mainstream??? sound a good idea

Soldato
Not really. Mobile Bartons are getting ultra rare. Would cost the same to get a 939 cpu and board. My most disappointing upgrade ever was a Thoroughbred to Barton. Saw precisely no observable difference in most applications, even at XP3200+ speeds.

Soldato
If you get one for much less than the upgrade already suggested go for it. Otherwise it's just a waste of time and money.

Moving from my socket A rig to 939 was the biggest improvement I've done in the last few years. Admittely my barton setup was getting a bit unstable (ran fine at 2.2 GHz for a few months but then started deteriorating). The instability was driving me crazy. In the end it couldn't even make it through 3DMark05 without kicking me out. You might have a much better experience, I suppose.

Soldato
Honestly, you might see some improvement but it'll be a baby step.

If you're short on cash but looking for an upgrade I'd go for a cheap s939 setup, like wizardmax suggested. If you're going to spend money on an upgrade it's worth going the extra yard I think. You should be able to run that 3200+ at 2.4ghz at least, which would make your current setup seem very slow indeed :)

Back
Top Bottom