Team Foundation Server for Small Team

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on TFS, mainly around it's suitability for a team of two developers.

There will be other members involved in the project such as Project Manager, Support Staff and Client Users (all developments will be internal, so 'Clients' are other teams in the organisation).

Main requirements are:

- Source Control
- Project Management for dev team
- Progress Monitoring for clients.
- Ability to submit requests (change requests, product requests) for clients.
- Time keeping

99% of developments are Visual Studio based, so this has led me to look at TFS.

Any comments and experience welcomed! :)

Associate
There is a free version called TFS express which is limited to 5 users. Has a few limits but worth looking into if cost is a deciding factor.

Associate
OP
I did mean to ask that! From how I understand what I've read, a license for TFS is included with each copy of Visual Studio?

So for each Visual Studio license we bought, we'd get a TFS Server license and CAL?

Is that correct?

Associate
I did mean to ask that! From how I understand what I've read, a license for TFS is included with each copy of Visual Studio?

So for each Visual Studio license we bought, we'd get a TFS Server license and CAL?

Is that correct?
Im not sure to be honest here are 2 links to read which should help, I think your right though. Have you looked at msdn licenses?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=13350

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/govdev/archive/2012/05/14/understand-tfs-licensing.aspx

Associate
OP
Visual Studio Online looks interesting.

What reasons (if any) are there to use TFS rather than this (besides keeping your source code onsite).

If we started off using this, how easy is it to migrate to TFS at a later date if required?

Back
Top Bottom