Team Foundation Server Version Control

Associate
Hi,

We're using TFS and I'm trying to get my head around how to do version control.

So, I have my main solution (trunk?) and I'm happy with pulling and pushing latest changes etc.

My issues come with how I do releases, fixes and further development.

So say I get to a point where I'm releasing version 1.0, do I branch my main trunk and label it Release 1.0, then continue development on main trunk?

If so, so I now have a Release 1.0 version and a dev version I've been working on, but I need to fix a bug in Release 1.0. Do I branch Release 1.0 labelling it Fix xxx, make the changes and then merge back in to Release 1.0?

Sorry of the long post and if I'm using the wrong terminology - I have a bit more experience with Git than I do with TFS (which I realise you can use in TFS, I just decided against it because I am an idiot!)

Cheers!

Associate
OP
Yeah that's what I don't like about my current solution - it just seems a bit disjointed.

Am I right in thinking that once you've done a branch and pulled that branch down, you need to do a commit right away? I've just done this and the 'Pending Changes' area basically showed all my files needed committing, even though it was a new branch?

Back
Top Bottom