Teenagers and mopeds.

Soldato
Now to start with, I'm a biker.
I had my first 'motorbike', an Aprilia RS50 at 16 and I had it for just over a year until I got my car, then sold it. A year later, I bought myself a CBR400RR and did my bike test.
I love riding, really enjoy it and I'm always very careful when out on the bike. I like my spirited riding, but in the right places and within my ability. Even on the RS50, I wouldn't try to make it do anything it couldn't, I took it for what it was and enjoyed it.

Anyway, today as I was coming home in the car, a lad overtook me on a 54 plate RS50 wearing a tracksuit top and bottoms. I said to my mum who was in the car with me "He'll be sore if he comes off that" and we followed him off the roundabout we were on and proceeded in a line of slow moving traffic (5-10mph) in to town.

As he reached the car infront of him, I expected him to slow down and keep a good distance while positioning himself so that he could be seen in the drivers rear view and right hand wing mirror, as any good biker would. But instead, this lad rode right up to the bumper of the car, literally as close as he could get without touching it. Me and my mum both said how stupid he was and how close he was getting. He was weaving left and right behind this car, holding on to the bars with one hand and generally not being safe.
A little further down the road, the BMW turned off and the bike raced up to the next car, where he proceeded to sit right on her bumper too. I said to my mum "He'll be in to the back of her if she stops sharpish, you watch".

He had no glass in his left hand wingmirror and for some reason decided to turn around to look behind him (at us) at which point, the car in front of him braked and he rode straight in to the back of it (at around 5mph). He stayed on but the back wheel nearly came off the ground and the bars nearly got snatched from his (singular) hand. Anyway, the woman raised her hand as if to apologise (like it was her fault?!) and he looked down at his front fender.

As the road split in to two lanes, we passed him and I wound down the window, and said "You're too close" and pointed at the car infront. He just looked at me obliviously and didn't acknowledge it.

It annoys me that all you need to get on the road on a moped is a CBT as it allows for morons like him to get on the road. He was riding irresponsibly and very dangerously and nearly had his comeuppance. Unfortunately for him, he will come off sooner or later and I doubt it'll be a pretty sight. I never had an accident on my RS (I rode in all weathers and conditions) and I believe it was because I rode sensibly and did all I could do make myself seen by other road users. This proves that with the right attitude there is no harm in letting 16 year olds on the roads on mopeds, but unfortunately I think there are more numptys that careful riders on mopeds nowdays.

What's the forums view on CBT tests and youngun's on bikes/mopeds?

I was following a moped driver yesterday evening, in rush hour traffic. Typical start/stop, lights etc through town. The moped driver in front was very good - patient, keeping distance, just like he was driving a car.

A few minutes later a dominoes moped and another moped driver (another kev), come up from behind (inside) past and weave in and out of traffic. Hmm ok they do that a bit to get ahead, but wasn't exactly safe. They then both stop beside this other chap infront (as there was space, as he created it) and they sit beside him for 20 sec. One of them eyeballs the driver and I think said something. Anyway they sped off racing each other again (bored waiting in traffic), diving in and out of traffic. The moped driver in front shakes his head in disgust.

A bit later they come back the other direction and shake fists / finger up and the chap in front :confused:

Talk about contrasts :\

We had a couple who used to ride like idiots around this estate. They have finally learned to stay off our back bumpers as we have to stop dead for the stupidly high speedbumps (another rant I could easily have!) and have ended up nearly in our engine bays more than once.

Once I think one of them was letting his mates have a go, we live on a close, and they were literally riding down the road, turning round and riding back. It got so annoying as they were doing it all afternoon!!!

It depends on the person really, im 16 with a Ped and consider myself a lot more sensible that all the chavs who ride like absolute lunatics. I am also pretty much one of 5 people at college who actually wear proper protective gear and not just a pair or trakkys.

I've never had any dojy incedents and have been riding every day for the past year almost.

More practice on the road during the CBT wont make any difference IMO, as the idiots will do what they like after.

One thing - why are they so damed NOISY!

Are the little darlings taking bits off them to make it so, or are they like that from stock?

Pinter75 said:

Are the little darlings taking bits off them to make it so, or are they like that from stock?
Not to mention they stink! :mad:

MrSix said:
What's the forums view on CBT tests....

I know you said CBT test, but im sure you know its not a test at all. IMO the CBT is nowhere near enough riding/experience to let you loose on the road. The lady who done her CBT with me was terrible, she had never ever rode/drove and after the single day training she was allowed on the road. Quite how she suvived the 2 hours riding on the road, i'll never know. Her riding and road sense was very very poor, she also managed to take the wrong turn and ride onto a 70mph A-road during rush our on her 50cc restricted scooter.
The CBT instructors admitted the course is far too basic to allow you onto the road.

I dunno, we let people loose in two tonnes of car without a second thought. Its not like the car test is much more difficult. You drive a bit, do a couple of manouevers, test passed. You can then mow down people without any damage to yourself. At least the majority of bikers actually understand their mortality.

I partly agree with some of the thoughts of your post, some people are just not meant to drive but it doesn't stop them getting a license. LOL.

Scooter riders, particularly amongst the young, seem to think that a hoodie and a pair of Nike trainers will save you in the event of an off. They will last approximately 2 seconds on contact with the road at 30mph, then you are down to skin and stuff. Nasty.
Same is also true of some on bigger bikes come summer time. The number of people I see on their CBRs or R1s wearing office trousers, a lightweight jacket and a pair of hush puppies makes my skin crawl to think of the damage if they get knocked off.
I feel underdressed in my summer Draggin trousers, I would hate to think of the damage without proper gear on. Skin grafts ahoy!

I laugh when they slowly set off at a low RPM, relatively quietly, then get progressively louder and higher pitched, but accelerate no faster :D

Why bother, same with people in 1 litre cars, you buy a 1 litre because its cheap to insure and run. Revving it as hard as possible at every opportunity only leads to increased petrol costs.

Drive it for what it is, and wait until you can afford to run a proper bike / car ffs :o

I've only currently done my CBT and soon about to go back for the full test. I must say I was horrified how little they give you and allow you on the roads.

Two of the people who were with me during that day had never been on the road before (I've driven for 3 years) and we were all chucked onto the road as soon as we could *just* about handle our CG 125's. Only by the very end of the 2 hours on the road did I feel anyway near happy, and even then certainly I'd be bricking it the first time I went out on my own. If I didn't give a ****, I could be out there causing havoc and not have a clue about how to really do anything properly.

Scary stuff!

I took a CBT and got a scooter (A little late, admittedly - I did it at 18.)

I didnt last long. Didn't feel safe at all - the training came to a total of about 4 hours, of which only one was actually spent on the roads. I had a bump a couple of weeks after starting. I was being tailgated by a big volvo, which proceeded to rear-end me pulling away from a junction. Admittedly my scooter only did about 28mph, but the rules of the road still apply..
So anyway, I came off it and was pretty shaken up, and because of that wasn't together enough to get the guy's details. He stopped to check I was alright, but didn't offer anything else and I totally forgot to ask for details - was too busy checking my bones still worked!
Anyway, after I made it back home from that (walked.. ) I gave up on scootering.

IMO there should be *much* more training than the CBT. It's a total joke, and you're not safe on the road after just that. I think you should at least have to take the same theory test as car drivers before being allowed out without someone accompanying you, and ideally have some sort of practical test too.

The worst thing is if he had died in his crash for being a tit, the local government would have siezed upon the opportunity to install a speed camera or the like to cut down on such fatal accidents

Bobbler said:
I dunno, we let people loose in two tonnes of car without a second thought. Its not like the car test is much more difficult.

Yes it is....much...much more difficult.
On your CBT you ride around some cones, do a long theory lesson, do some more riding round cones, then go out on the road for an hour, come back get your book stamped and you're off.

If they made it a 2 day course where you're shown videos of crashes, safety advice and all the rest of it, along with lots of practice, more road riding AND a test at the end, it would create much safer riders.

jellybeard999 said:
I laugh when they slowly set off at a low RPM, relatively quietly, then get progressively louder and higher pitched, but accelerate no faster :D

Why bother, same with people in 1 litre cars, you buy a 1 litre because its cheap to insure and run. Revving it as hard as possible at every opportunity only leads to increased petrol costs.

Drive it for what it is, and wait until you can afford to run a proper bike / car ffs :o

Mopeds cant rev higher or lower than they need to - the rider has no control over it. They have CVT gearboxes hence the continual high pitched wine at any speed. They only have 50cc so they have to be at a fair rpm to get enough torque to move!

In general though, I know what you all mean. I see some shocking moped riding - mostly tailgating and awful road positioning. Not sure about the training. Back in my day you didnt even need a CBT. You just applied for your provisional license at 16 and went straight out on the road, in my case after about an hour in a car park being shown gears by my dad lol. The CBT does show you the basics such as road positioning and the 2 second distance rule, but some people just go on to completely ignore it, same as a lot of 17 year old car drives pass their test and then forget everything they were taught about safe driving.

One of the funniest things i've seen on the road was a scooter pileup :D

Round my way they roam the wild roads of crawley in gaggles of 4-6.

Anyway one of said gaggles came ******* round the corner at some traffic lights, lead trakkie wearer drops his on it's side for some reason and the other 3 all go down with him, was ******* myself laughing :D

I'm a moped rider, and im 19 but I dont **** about like all these others do. A CBT isnt enough really to be on the roads, they should have to take a test at the end of it to see what they have learned.

I have passed my CBT and theory and I'm taking motorbike lessons to gain my full license, which is what these people should do. However they all seem to cut short straight at the CBT then thats it.

I doubt they have the brains to pass the theory.

Pinter75 said:

Because they fit sports pipes which look like a midgets french horn to increase their top speed from 31.6 mph to 32.8 mph so they can leave their mates for dust.

I know its only a whinge because it irritates me but mopeds filtering to the front of traffic lights on a 50 or 60 limit road... GRRRR!!!

I don't mind a proper bike doing it because the lights change and they're off but when you get a moped go up the side of the queue then weave its way infront of the lead car, then its a 30mph crawl as everyone files past when its clear to do so.

Back
Top Bottom