telewest / 2 PC's

Associate
im on blueyonder 10 meg at the moment, using the cable modem they supplyed (webstar epc2100 series).
can i plug the webstar into a hub/switch(D-link DES 1005D) then plug in 2 PC's ? or will i need a cable router ?

thanks

Soldato
I would think you need a router as it has to emulate the mac address of the pc used for the configuration.

Having said that i have heard somewhere (cant remember where) that they dont need the mac address anymore, so i'm not much help then :(

Associate
Hi,

You'll need some kind of router to distribute the connection between the two PC's. As the Cable modem will provide one WAN (Internet) IP Address, which every computer is connected first will 'bond' to the modem. Any other PC will just pickup and interal DHCP Address with no internet routing capabilities.

If you buy a router you need to make sure it's the right type. Don't buy an ADSL router. Look for DSL or cable - something without a modem built in.

when you connect your router make sure that you turn of the cable modem (pull the power out) then turn it back on - wait for the lights to stop flashing and then connect the router - otherwise the router won't get an IP.

Hope that's of some help :)

Back
Top Bottom