Tell me about the F01 7-Series (Probably one for Fox)

Don
So, looking to get back in to a luxo barge and have narrowed it down to two possible candidates:

A 2011 ish Jaguar XJ 3.0D Portfolio
A 2011 ish BMW 730D

What I'm struggling with is BMW's approved-used website and the fitted options on the 7-series. Many of them just don't seem to list the options and I'm struggling to find out exactly what was standard on the 730D in the 2011 model year.
A good example is speakers. A few of the cars are listed as having BMW Professional Loudspeakers in the options and others are listed as having BMW Advanced Loudspeakers. Which is best? Is the worse one still good? Some seem to have the side-view cameras fitted (I can see them in the pictures) but don't list them as fitted equipment? Were they standard?

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two car models. The Jag is just a stunning looker and has an interior to die for but the infotainment system is crap and the screen is low resolution. Also, the Jag has the old 6-speed gearbox until 2013 whereas the BMW has the excellent ZF 8-speed box. The BMW's interior is boring but I'm sure the material quality is better and the fit and finish will be better too. The infotainment in the F01 is first-class too along with the navigation system.

Thanks Fox for the correction on the 8-speed.

This surprises me, for you.

Yeah. Needs must though. The Supersport XJ is just a bit too pricey for me at the moment and TBH as I'm getting older I'm seeing less point in a big, thirsty engine in an exec express. A diesel kind of makes more sense. The 750i with the TT 4.4 V8 seems to have no end of issues.

Rilot, I'm aware it's down to personal preference and whatnot but is there something specific in those two cars that you can't get in the xf or 5 series that you're after? The seven is essentially an extended five with, i believe, a few more tech options. Or is it purely the space that you love?

An F10 5-series I would have but trying to find one with all the right kit is pretty difficult. It would need to be a 530d or 535i which in themselves is a pain in amongst all the poverty spec 520ds.
The XF.... I've ummed and ahhhed about this for a while now and I just hate the interior. The little screen set in that big, flat dash panel just looks like something out of the 1990s to me. If I was going to get an XF it would have to be the XFR which for my budget would have to be a pre-facelift and I'm them looking at seriously dated infotainment.

Rilot, i would seriously consider looking for a 62 plate or newer F01. The whole car was heavily revised upon the LCI to the point that i dont think its worth going for the older models.

New engine, more efficient and more power.
Lower VED band.
New 8HP gearbox, total leap in tech between the 6HP and 8HP.
New bumpers all round, looks far fresher.
White angel eyes, again much fresher, the orange ones look really dated already.
New alloys
New iDrive system, much fresher and definitely worth having.
Much improved rear entertainment system accompanying this (if you were going for this, personally i would want this as it saves the nasty ipad strapped to seat thing).

I can probably just stretch to a miley (80k ish) 2013 model. Will take a look.

1) Have you driven both to see what your gut tells you ?

Driven the XJ. Used to own an E65 750i so am expecting more of the same from the F01

2) How often do you actually do things with the infotainment system ? I tend to just set up what I want before moving off and then leave it.

Agreed but if it's slow and clunky it does kind of spoil the enjoyment

3) Any reason you want the portfolio over a premium luxury jag ? More stuff to go wrong and you may get more choice in the premium luxury - including a newer one with the 8 speed auto. What are your must-have toys ?[/QUOTE]

B&W 1200W audio is something I want. I know what I'm like though. Every time I see a Portfolio I will wish I'd held out for one.

Thanks for the tips flexo786. Most useful.
I've started looking at 535d 530d 640i and 640d models now too. The 6 seems to come with all the kit you want as standard so it's easier to find one in the right spec it seems.

I still think the XJ interior is epic. I think that would sway me in the direction.

This is kind of where I'm at. I went and drove another XJ yesterday and it is just gorgeous inside (apart from the kinda shoddy plastics on the air vents). It was a Premium Luxury rather than a Portfolio but the odd thing is that the main screen seemed to be significantly higher resolution than the one I used in a Portfolio. I'm guessing that this is because Dual-View reduces the horizontal resolution by 50%.
TBH I don't care about Dual-View but I do care about all the other kit on the Portfolio such as cooled seats, the B&W hifi, etc. It's a pity you can't have the Portfolio without Dual-View.

I think the 7 is not going to happen. I've been scouring Autotrader and the BMW site and to get a decent LCI with the right options it's going to stretch my budget too far. Same goes for the 6. Still looking at F10s though.

[TW]Fox;29896775 said:
F10's are bizarrely poor value at the lower end of the market. For a nice 530d with good spec you are looking at £15k for a 6-7 year old one which is nuts - even more for an M Sport.

When did used cars get so expensive?!

The question is, are people buying? I've been looking at XJs and 7s for a few weeks and I keep seeing the same cars still for sale.

Back
Top Bottom