Tell me what you think

Associate
Hi fellow OcUK members.

I have uploaded a video of the fans running. This is a new case and the 6 fans that came with it.
I built this rig with second hand parts from MM and social media platform with a lot of patiences the prices no more than £200 for an i5 8500, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi, GTX 970 and B-Grade 360 AIO deal. All is running sweet as it can be but I have the PC about a foot away from me and the noise is getting to me. In game and watching movies is not too bad as it cannot be heard as much.

Well I were wondering that since higher quality fans are not cheap and can be expensive, would the noise levels be much less or be about the same amount of lets say Lian Li fans?

Soldato
Use software to create fan profiles so that when your load on the CPU and or GPU is pretty low then the fan speeds are also low. That way when browsing or watching YT etc it should be nearly silent.
I am assuming that both the CPU and GPU loads do drop significantly and you haven't some other issues going on. Hopefully the AIO, looks to be Arctic Freezer II, is mounted fine on the CPU.

The software I use is Argus Monitor, perhaps there are others. I find it excellent and have created fan profiles for my case fans as well as my CPU's AIO. The GPU, for me, looks after itself. You can search on YT for vids on that software.
You could control your fans via your BIOS, pwm mode, and that should work ok. I prefer software control via Windows tho.
If the fans you have with the case are four wire / plug type they will offer a more granular control of your RPM speeds over that of the three wire type.

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty much agree with what Vimes has said. If you have PWM fans and want a bit more fine control on each individual fan (and not just banks of them), then I can also suggest grabbing the Aquacomputer Quadro fan controller. There is the Octo as well, but that one has bad update control (often it messes up updates as it won't recognise the controller no matter what you do, you simply need another machine entirely that is compatible, which not everyone has).

Otherwise, I'm afraid it's a bit hard to tell whether those fans in that video is loud or not, as there is no reference sound accompanying it to give an idea ofwhat it would sound like. Even using something like the basic ring tone of your phone (give the model) at maximum volume at a set recording distance can help give a rough idea of the actual ballpark but without any such identifying features, what I hear, what is coming from my speakers, will be different from everyone elses. Which makes it hard to guage.

Associate
OP
The fans are not controllable as they are just molex not even 3 pin fan header. Yeah seems can't tell how loud from the video.
Temps are fine the i5 8500 never above 55c and GTX970 is roughly about 75c on full load.
Temps idle for both hover around 30c.

What's fans do you recommend for balanced airflow and noise?

Soldato
For absolute value for money as well as performance the Arctic Cooling F120 or F140mm fans are excellent. The "F" being designated as a case fan rather than the "P" being a pressure fan more suited to a CPU cooler or rad. It doesn't mean that people don't mix them in their usage, just what their primary purpose is designed for in the way they "shape" and push air.
They also do Bionix range of fans, they are also great and cost a little more. Might be worth a thought over that of the P fans, but both are very good.

The choice of the 120mm or 140mm will be decided on the case and what will fit and then, if either do, your own choice. I prefer 140mm type. I am referring to the 4 pin variety for a more granular control of the RPM, they also make the 3 pin type.

Your motherboard will have PWM headers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Molex fans are usually three pin with an adapter that powers them with the molex, are yours not? I've used resistors for years because they're a lot cheaper than controllers and the fans I buy are never PWM.

Soldato
I have not used nor heard of those fans. Doesn't mean they are not capable tho. Only 92mm, I would have thought that the small size must mean a higher RPM to push a decent amount of air through compared to a 120 or a 140mm - all other things being equal.
I just went with fans that are known to be both very capable and affordable, the Arctic range I mentioned tick those boxes. The amount of airflow and low noise when moving it is what counted for me. I use the Bionix 140mm fans for my case and keep them at a low RPM. It just works.

EDIT: You are aware that the fans I noted, well some of them I think, are available in various flavours of bling, even with RGB and ARGB versions. Might give you something to consider whilst still having a decent fan.
I just ended up with black and grey 140mm Bionix F rated for my case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Vimes I just realised the Jonsbo fan is shown is 92mm not a 120mm which my case seems to only support. It was late tiredness lol.

@Tetras As far I could tell yeah only Molex 2 wires from the fans. I am not that savy with soldering etc.

Back
Top Bottom