Temperatures and Ryzen 5 2600X

Associate
I did sort of start a similar thread a couple of months ago after building my current system which is listed below but thought I'd give myself time to get used to the new system before changing things.

Overall I'm very happy with the performance of the system and the R 2600X CPU together with the GTX 1060 cope well with all the games I play, though to be fair as an extremely old geezer who only started playing games casually for the first time last year and with an accumulation of a handful of months of slightly more serious play I can't really say I'm a gamer with any experience but I'm not doing too badly considering.:)

I've not come across any games which pushes either my CPU or GPU and so far the highest temps my system has reached during play is barely 60 deg C for the GPU and 69 deg C for the CPU but most less demanding games don't even cause the gear to break out into a sweat and the GPU often stays around 40 deg or lower with the CPU around 50 deg.

The idling temps for my GPU and CPU are 28 deg and 28-29 deg respectively depending upon ambient temp or both registering around 10 deg C higher than room ambient temp.
The case fans are separate from the mobo so the only mobo controlled fan is the CPU cooler fan which is where I have an issue.
Clearly the CPU cooler is doing its job otherwise I suspect temps would be much higher though it's fair to say I'm only running the CPU at stock speed with no overclocking but I'm very happy with the CPU as it seems like a good little workhorse.
The issue is that while the stock cooler (Wraith Spire) is efficient, the fan does does seem somewhat 'busy' at lower temps which I find distracting unless I have my headset on though strangely it's not so noticeable when running at higher temps.
At low loads it sounds as though there are progs running in the background due to the changes in pitch and idle and low load temps can vary.
Before this build I had an old Phenom 11 based setup which was quite hot running but after replacing the original stock cooler which was horrendous, with an Arctic Pro Freezer 7 and newer and more efficient case fans, even when the CPU was working hard on quite modern games, the cooler's fan was barely perceptible.

I'm not sure whether replacing the stock cooler would see any significant change in pitch at lower temps with another cooler unless it was more efficient so your opinion would be welcome.
Is there likely to be any significant improvement by fitting another cooler or do I have to accept that it is just a characteristic of the setup?

Back
Top Bottom