Tempory boost now OR wait ????

Associate
I want to build a new gaming system towards the end of this year, but here's the dilemma : would it be worth making a temp upgrade now to get a few more fps or should I do nothing till I do a full upgrade.

Here's my present spec:

Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Gainward Ultra 2400 Golden sample 6800GT 256mb
2 GB Corsair Platinum XMS3200 400hz

Shall I,

1. Change the graphics card only to a 7800 AGP (which one ?) and keep my present mobo.

2. Change the mobo and graphics card only, to a 7800 sli and sli board.

3. Do nothing, because changing the graphics card /and or the mobo whist leaving the Athlon 64 and the rest of the system will not offer much FPS increase for the cost.

Associate
OP
I play IL-2 Forgotten Battles Flt Sim, which is graphics intensive. With a change to a PCI board and card, would it be held back by my CPU (which I don't want to change just yet)

Associate
OP
Tim said:
Those 3200 Winchesters can be good clockers, i'd give it a try for sure. So your options are:

1. Use current motherboard, get a 7800GS
2. Get a PCIE motherboard and NV 7800GT(X) / ATi X1900, CPU+RAM is compatible, will cost ~£400
3. Leave it as it is

Don't do option 1:p
If IL-2 runs OK I wouldn't even consider upgrading, spend the cash on a new TFT or something.

Thought I might go for:

Asus A8N-Sli ... If your not going to use SLI set up would it be best for the premium rather than deluxe: £104
XFX Geforce 7800 GT Extreme £252

Thats about 400 quid , does that look OK ?

Back
Top Bottom