Terminating fibre cable

Associate
Having building work done and I have managed to rip out my fibre cable for the second time in 2 weeks.

Last time got the ISP to fix it at a huge cost of £108 so keen to know if this can be a DIY thing with minimal kit? Any termination kits someone can recommend or do I just bit the bullet and pay the ISP again?

Also assuming this is an SC connector, can someone confirm please?

hmUtQVi.jpg
9NX3OIV.jpg
r2j5ZF9.jpg

Pay the money and get it fixed, along with the connector above (which are unreliable) you'll need a fibre cleaver, tools to strip the buffer off and other prep tools, which will cost more than the ISP asks to fix the service.

Sounds sensible. Interesting what you say about the connector. That was provided by the ISP

As above, fibre isn't as easy to repair compared to the old copper RJ11 / RJ45 ports. Terminations have to be VERY clean with tight tolerances.

You could buy all the kit, and still end up with a fibre that doesn't work properly and have to pay the ISP to come out and do another repair.

No disrepect intended, but your working environment looks far from clean :p Let a professional take care of it.

Ha, clean it definitely isn't. There's a bloody great hole in the concrete just below where the cable comes in. Engineer booked in tomorrow

What on earth were they doing to rip it out for a second time? Machines?

Actually really easy to rip out, all you need is the weight of the modem falling. Kind of missing the robustness and self terminating qualities of CAT6 right now.

ISP fixed this yesterday. Another £108 and some wounded pride. Installing a steel server cage so that it can't happen again. Thanks all for the replies

Back
Top Bottom