Tesco's USA sweet goodies!

Soldato
Wow, Tesco have got an amazing section on their world foods aisle. Tons of stuff from america that you could previously only get from certain department stores like Fenwicks. And guess what? They've got Lucky Charms cereal and it's £5 a box, cheaper than ebay. I want to try them and also a Baby Ruth chocolate bar since it's very famous.:)

Also I'm tempted by the quaker cinnamon and spice grits. Anyone tried grits? Is it nice, similar to porridge?

G93Em.jpg

WPfUa.jpg

Soldato
OP
Corn Dogs?

Please God, let them have corn dogs.

Every time I see someone eating one in an american movie (I think they're rolled around a stick like a lolly?) they look like they would taste great. :eek:
What do they actually taste like?

And grits, what are they like?

Oh and also, they've got bags of chocolate coated pretzels in that aisle too! Those things are awesome.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Was this a Tesco extra store or just a normal one? Haven't got any of this in the Tesco near me

Well, they're at my local Tesco in my high street which they call a superstore but in fact, it's not one of the big ones, it's a very average sized store. I just drove to another one near me which is massive and called Tesco Extra but they've got absolutely no USA stuff there which surprised me.

root beer!

Do they have root beer, that's all I want to know.

You'll be pleased to know that there's Boylan's cane sugar root beer 335ml bottles for £1.50 and Boylans cane sugar black cherry caffeine in a same sized bottle for £1.60. :) You can just see the tops of the bottles at the bottom left of my first picture.

Well, they only have the dark chocolate pretzels left and I wanted the milk chocolate with peanut butter ones. :( They're out of stock along with butterfinger choc bar and baby ruth choc bar. But I was told they're all being delivered tonight and should be in the shop tomorrow. I'm sort of hesitant though about paying £3.25 for a small handful of pretzels, it's quite a lot of money really. But they are nice :p

Meanwhile, I bought these and will test them out tonight and give you my verdict. It's a tough job but someone's got to be the guinea pig. :D

oZ2mC.jpg

See that, a tootsie roll. I'm sure I've heard a gangster offer one of those to someone in a movie before.

Soldato
OP
Verdict:

Tootsie roll : garbage. Very chewy chocolatey..er.. I don't know what.
Cookie Dough bites: crap. Was really expecting these to be nice, very disappointing.
Hershey bar : Decent. Best of the lot, quite nice (well,by comparison to the above two at least) but not a patch on anything UK produces.

Soldato
OP
Got to agree with the Herschey's comments...that stuff is vile. And grits? Who in their right mind is going to buy them over here?

Stuck in a Greyhound bus in the states, I decided to "treat" myself to an individual Hostess Cherry Pie from one of the many truck stops. The ingredient list was quite illuminating:
Corn flour
Corn starch
Corn sugar
Corn fructose
Corn oil
The whole thing seemed to be constructed entirely from corn - the one thing that wasn't mentioned at all was...cherries!

Lol. So what was the corn based pastry like compared to a good old english cherry pie?

I get the impression from this thread that peanut butter is very popular in the US :D.

I think i'm going to have to get some poptarts tomorrow. Not had them for ages.

Yeah, americans do seem to have a staple diet of corn products and peanut butter. There's a few varieties of peanut butter at tesco, including JIF peanut butter, Smuckers Goober Grape And Peanut Butter Spread, and Smuckers Goober Strawberry And Peanut Butter Spread. I guess it means it's.. peanut butter jelly time! :D

Soldato
OP
Oreos are awesome. Many brits swear by custard creams over Oreos, but Oreos are much nicer and much crisper. I tried a pack of double stuff Oreos but frankly, didn't think they were better than the normal ones.

Soldato
OP
If anyone missed my post about root beer earlier, my store has Boylan's cane sugar root beer 335ml bottles for £1.50.

I remember getting it for $1.49 when I was able to shop on Lakenheath, and thats heavily subsidised so probably $3 or £3-4?

£6. :(

the chemical that makes herseys taste like vomit, is actually the same chemical that is in vomit. They basically use rancid milk to make the chocolate.

I was reading this thread the other day, it's quite interesting http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1039116

Someone said "I remember hearing that when chocolate was first sent over to the states from europe that it took so long the milk in the chocolate went off and it tasted bad (like hershey's does to me - i live in the UK). Since they didn't know any different they started making chocolate to taste the same as when they first had it (with the gone off milk). Can't find any info on this atm but i think i read it in the Times last year."

Back
Top Bottom