Tethered Camera Control

Associate
I'm looking to control a camera plugged into a USB port on a windows PC

Has anyone done this before? Initially I only really need to activate the shutter and store the file on the computers HDD but I'm not really finding much info on the web

I'm happy to write the application in C# or C++

Associate
OP
Sorry should have said, I want to control a DSLR

Capturing a frame from a webcam is easy, triggering a camera seems to be a bit more tricky

Soldato
Not sure how much control you really need. I know there are quite a few programs out there for this already, from branded ones for each camera and some 3rd party ones. Most allow you to do everything for the camera from camera settings covering shutter speed, ISO and aperture as well as setting them up to timelapse photography.

I'm not sure what you are planning on doing with it, but as pointed out, there's many programs out there that give full control over the camera.

Here:

http://www.tethertools.com/plugging-in/software/

Associate
I use Lightroom to do all of my photo-editing from my DSLR and I know you can do tethered capture too - not ever had need to use it myself, but I would image that it would give you full control as its designed for photographers.

And you can download the Lightroom 5 Beta from Adobe for free.

Soldato
As Dingle pointed out, look at your DSLR manufacturers site and see if they offer an SDK (Canon and Nikon but i believe it's limited to a handful of models).
Failing that, Google around your camera/manufacturer as see if there is any info on tethering and USB protocol/commands.

Back
Top Bottom