Text recognition software challenge

Soldato
Hi all,

Odd one this but we've recently started working with Braille, while producing the documents isn't an issue we need to proof read each one once it has been embossed, and as you can imagine, it's a skill in short supply that requires a fairly long time to become proficient at.

I've an idea to build a Braille reader that reads the embossed Braille and either shows English text on the screen, we can use screen readers if needed to speed it up.

I'd build a frame with the document at the bottom, a thin LED strip to light the Braille from one side and a web cam placed above the document to actually read this. My issue is, what's the best way to look at translating it?

We use windows 7 & 8 PC's at work. I've a RasPi at home and I know work would invest in one if it worked.

Can anyone suggest any frameworks to use that might be of use? I know basic Python, enough to write small simple programs but I am rusty, don't know any C, C++ or C#.

I am aware that OpenCV can be used for image recognition but haven't had first hand experience of it. Anything else that could help? Am I looking at having to write something from scratch (which I think will be too much for me).

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom