Textar pads and/or discs any good?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm due new discs (and by nature, pads too) and have priced up EBC discs and Greenstuff pads. I'm happy with the pads as I have them already but on BMW discs.

The total has come to £275 +DEL. Now Eurocarparts currently have the March offer with 25% off but they only stock Pagid and Textar pads/discs. The Textar set comes with £209 with free del using the promo code.

Anyone have any experience with Textar discs/pads?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Ah never knew that! So that would mean the pads will throw dust /everywhere/ :S It's the reason I went Greenstuff!

I'll buy the discs then and stick to Greenstuff pads. Cheers!

Edit*
Any recommendations on cleaning up the callipers? They look a bit brown.

Don
OEM equivalent iirc. They're not a 2bit operation, many on here seem to recommend them

I used them to get a new caliper it was exactly the same part number that came off my car.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Perhaps I will get the discs and handbrake shoes then and get the Greenstuff pads, cheers! Shame they don't do free delivery though :p

Edit*
Actually it doesn't work out with much of a saving really if I just get the discs and shoes compared to eurocarparts. Ah well!

Last edited:
Don
Call them, they do offer performance pads for many cars, they may stock greenstuff too. Click the 'Associated' button when browsing pads, it may show more options.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers I will give them a ring about the Greenstuff pads, the discs don't work out much cheaper so I'll get the Textar ones from Euro :)

Going to get better quality handbrake shoes though as the OEM ones are quite pants.

Soldato
You sure you're happy with the greenstuff? I've only used them once and they were horrifically dusty. I honestly didn't find them any better than oem pads either. Not on a BMW though, was an a3 1.8t - Just if you're spendig more on them than the oem equivalent.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Greenstuff were a bit more but not much at the time but I can confirm they were a lot less dusty than the stock pads and I also found braking to be a bit more progressive compared to stock which were excellent anyway.

I've driven the A3 you mention though as it's one of our pool cars at work. Didn't have anything positive to say about the drive at all though mind!

Soldato
I've driven the A3 you mention though as it's one of our pool cars at work. Didn't have anything positive to say about the drive at all though mind!

OT but it was alright tbh, must have been maybe 7 years ago and was the first car I had with 150bhp+ so I loved it at the time. Put a hell of a lot of miles onto it given it was a 98 car and it did ok to be fair. Can't say I would ever swap a decent e46 for an 8L A3 though so I can see why you'd be underwhelmed.

Odd that you found greenstuff less dusty than oem, mine were genuinely terrible but it's entirely feasible they've been changed slightly.

If you buy discs from that site I would be very keen to hear if they're OEM quality as a set of discs (which i'll need to do soon) for the civic will only be £60 inc vat from them as opposed to £95 from Honda.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Ah no worries mate, I've ordered the Textar discs from Eurocarparts, came to £101 with free del and I also enquired about the pads at brakesint but they said they sadly don't stock EBC stuff but only whatever comes in. I'll grab the pads elsewhere after doing some shopping around.

I've also ordered a Mintex handbrake shoe set for £27 with free del too. The OEM quality ones at brakesint were £21 + £8 del!

About the dust though, with the stock pads I was cleaning the alloys every few days in dry weather because of the layering of brake dust gets too much but the Greenstuff had none of the dustyness and I just cleaned them each week during the car wash.

Soldato
Get Textar or pagid bads, not worth the EBC garbage.

OEM is perfectly fine.

As I said MRK, OEM brakes and braided hoses.

It's a lovely combo. You can get Brembo discs from GSF if you really want.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Oh I have no problems at all with the performance of OEM pads/disks, I just don’t like the dust they splash all over my wheels, and on my wheels which have large portions of alloy spoke and dish, it looks really naff after a few days!

That was the whole reason I went with EBC as an OEM pad replacement minus the dust.

The hoses are still to be done by the way, not forgotten about that :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
TIL: Brake Discs are damn heavy! When the boxes turned up I was expecting flat packs not PC Tower sized boxes wrapped up.

I can see why carbon ceramic ones are so expensive :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Cheapest I could find the pads were ebc direct @ £107 all in. The Textar/Pagid pads after the 25% off at Euro were dearer by order of pence so I stuck to the EBC Greenstuff

Now to sort out those hoses!

Cheers all :)

Back
Top Bottom