Thailand - where's good destination for a couple?

Soldato
Hi GD

The reason I'm posting here is because many of you lot are very well travelled and as well as doing my own research I'd be interested in the views of those of you that have been there. We're looking for a sunshine destination for the end of April next year and after visiting lots of Europe together the time has come to go further afield. Now, I'd stay in a mud hut and sleep on straw if I had to, but the GF is very westernised, she won't be keen on roughing it and I want to avoid backpacking hostel-type places and stick to chain-hotel type places if we can, though we haven't got loads of money. I'm sure she'll love it, provided I get it right..

Here's the plan:

• Get a flight to Bankok. I figured that if we go to Thailand we must see the capital, plus I'd like to watch a fight there at the stadium if possible. Also maybe spend a day fishing in one of the lakes too while the GF sunbathes.
  • Spend 1-2 nights there and then travel to a quietish beach resort. I have no idea where to go but we're both early 40s and prefer a relaxing day on the beach followed by a nice meal at a restaurant, rather than getting wrecked and partying with gogo dancers and ladyboys. Also I'm not sure if we'd have to get another flight to get from Bankok to our beach destination or whether we'd need to get a coach, or even if a hire car is a viable option.
  • Come home. I don't know if we could get a flight back to the UK from another Thai airport or whether it's best to make our way back to the capital.

The final thing is I like fishing and the GF loves to sunbathe, so if someone could suggest a beach destination which has good beaches for both sunbathing and some shore fishing that'll be great :)

PS if I could do this for 2k that'll be amazing :)

Suggestions and comments most welcome.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for your responses, very much appreciated and thanks to Ahleckz and killem for the detail :)

That's plenty of food for thought, I really like the idea of catching a ferry out to a quieter place to stay. One thing I didn't note was that as far as innoculations are concerned I've had jabs galore for different places but the GF hasn't had any since school, also I'm pretty sure she wouldn't like the way Malaria tabs make most people feel so it'll need to me somewhere not too remote.

We'll be flying out from Heathrow, I ran it through sky scanner and flights outbound Heathrow > Bangkok, 3 day stopover then Bangkok > Phuket, then the return flight to Heathrow via Bangkok costs £1148 with Thai airways via a 3rd party agent, or £1244 direct with the airline (I also ran the price through the Thai airline website and it was exactly the same). The Thai airline site advises tax, meals and 30kg baggage per person is included so I'm inclined to book direct. Air asia is a good shout, I'll have to see if using them for an internal flight can trim things down a bit.

What about flying to Bangkok for a couple of days, then flying down to Phuket and getting a ferry somewhere nice to stay for the duration, then heading back direct? I must admit all these place names are new to me :)

Soldato
OP
phiphi island is nice but really good accommodation is limited and expensive , there’s some reasonably cheap places but will be very basic

Koh Samui , nice enough in parts but although I’ve been twice to Chaweng and tbh I’m not keen on it, there’s much nicer places although at £35 a night for a small resort villa with a pool that no one else seemed to go to was a bargain

Phuket, I’ve only been to Patong and I’m going back in a few weeks, hired a private villa with pool. Like many Thai tourist areas it has its seedy parts but they’re easily avoided . The beach is nice but very crowded

Bangkok - been loads , mainly on short stop overs . They’res some really good hotels in Bangkok at decent rates , it may be worth considering staying longer in Bangkok as it’s huge and so much to see

Also consider going a few weeks earlier as the weather will slowly start changing in April gradually getting wetter

I was hoping to avoid the wet season :( It's hard for us both to get annual leave together, we've both got a fortnight off week commencing Mon 20th April so could potentially fly out on an evening flight on Friday 17th.

Guaranteed sunshine (as much as one can guarantee it) is a prerequisite for this holiday so I really hope we avoid prolonged wet weather. Might even need a rethink on Thailand as a destination.

Does anyone know about regional variations there, so by going somewhere in Thailand in late April we're likely to still get the best of the weather?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I’ve done this itenary twice

Uk to Bangkok with emirates, paid around £550 pp, stayed 3 nights
Bangkok to Phuket , paid £45 pp with Bangkok air or Thai air, I forget which . Stayed 3 nights
Ferry to Phi phi island , £12 inc pickup , stayed 3 nights
Ferry to krabi, £12 then flight to koh samui £50 ish, 3 nights here too
Back to Bangkok , £50 ish again , had another 2 nights here before the long flight home, stayed at a nice hotel just to chill in comfort

Is the £1148 pp or for both of you?

Ps . You shouldn’t need to worry about malaria if you’re only going to Bangkok and a beach resort

Cheers for the reply, looks like a good way to see lots of the country!

The £1148 is for 2 people

Back
Top Bottom