Thanking of changing to an automatic

Underboss
Persistent back problems is making me think of changing to an auto box

Had my heart set on a manual focus 1.6 ecoboost titanium X for my next car, but I have no clue on auto boxes, I have driven a BMW which was an auto and loved it.

So what to avoid ? Budget 5k can stretch if needed to

Thanks

Soldato
Avoid the Ford Powershift boxes (change the word shift to a close-sounding expletive to get an idea of the prevailing opinion). They just dropped it and went back to a conventional 6-speed torque converter automatic on their latest Fiesta. If you're looking at £5k, you'll probably get one of the older 4-speed torque converter automatics which, while a bit power sapping and fuel draining, they get the job done in a very boring way. Don't expect it to be to BMW level though.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
A £5k budget will very easily see you into the VAG DSG territory too. Look at the Seat Leon / VW Golf range.
Are these not a liability at this price point? Or are they pretty much the same risk as a conventional auto of the same age?

Caporegime
Are these not a liability at this price point? Or are they pretty much the same risk as a conventional auto of the same age?
Depends on the application. Some of them will be "dry", low torque boxes (like the one on my Wife's Polo), which are pretty much risk-free (or as risk-free as they come).

Don

In my experience, the same rule applies as to buying any car at this age - check for a proper service history. My Leon is at 121K miles and 12 years old and the DSG is perfect. At the bottom end of the market (£1k - £2k) I would agree with you though.

I would take a well-serviced DSG box over a poorly-serviced conventional autobox any day.

Soldato
My powershift Focus is now 8 yrs old - I had oil changed at 37k as per service book and touch wood so far it has been fine and on 63k miles - I like the box as it is smooth when changing - it is as good as any of the slush box autos I have had - in fact more economical but that could be the diesel engine as against Mazdas 2.3 supercharged Xedos 9s and 626GTs

I did read that they have problems with the dry boxes that they have in USA

Soldato
Eh? Your last thread op was about hot hatches such as Focus ST’s and Type R’s etc with rock hard crashy suspensions and now you want an auto :eek:
Anything at that price point is a potentially dangerous buy unless you have at least 1k aside for potential auto box problems especially with the older DSG kind. Manual always seems to be the more safer option when buying older used cars.
If it’s auto you are after though the Lexus is250 is still a good car can be had with low mileage for 4K. Or at the other end of the price range why not just spend 1.5k on an old 2.5/3.0 Jag X type auto and if it breaks just scrap it

Soldato
Eh? Your last thread op was about hot hatches such as Focus ST’s and Type R’s etc with rock hard crashy suspensions and now you want an auto :eek:
Anything at that price point is a potentially dangerous buy unless you have at least 1k aside for potential auto box problems especially with the older DSG kind. Manual always seems to be the more safer option when buying older used cars.
If it’s auto you are after though the Lexus is250 is still a good car can be had with low mileage for 4K. Or at the other end of the price range why not just spend 1.5k on an old 2.5/3.0 Jag X type auto and if it breaks just scrap it

Yeah but keep the £1k for the clutch replacement :D

Underboss
OP

Eh? No it wasn't, my last thread was a bit more power than my current 1.8 focus, so was looking at civic exGT's and Octavia L&K or vrs, no STS can't afford a decent one

I'm hoping I won't need to get an auto box, but my back playing up today so makes using the clutch a little more tricky, but I'm just asking at the moment incase I decide I got to get rid of my car for an auto

Underboss
OP
My powershift Focus is now 8 yrs old - I had oil changed at 37k as per service book and touch wood so far it has been fine and on 63k miles - I like the box as it is smooth when changing - it is as good as any of the slush box autos I have had - in fact more economical but that could be the diesel engine as against Mazdas 2.3 supercharged Xedos 9s and 626GTs

I did read that they have problems with the dry boxes that they have in USA

thanks

is that engine oil or gearbox oil ?

Soldato
Yeah but keep the £1k for the clutch replacement :D
On an average petrol car your talking well under 1k for a full clutch replacement whereas auto boxes can on average cost well over 1k when they go wrong and they do more so than clutches going on a manual

Soldato
If a DSG goes wrong, the bill will never be small. You might end up having to fork out for a gearbox which is almost as much as the car is worth (and the car is worthless with a broken one).

Where as you can usually find a whole manual box for a few £100 in good condition.

Last edited:
Don
On an average petrol car your talking well under 1k for a full clutch replacement whereas auto boxes can on average cost well over 1k when they go wrong and they do more so than clutches going on a manual
If a DSG goes wrong, the bill will never be small. Where as you can usually find a whole manual box for a few £100 in good condition.

But the OP has specifically asked about automatic boxes. Yes DSG is more expensive IF it goes wrong, but not magnitudes more expensive than a normal auto. DSG is the best of the auto boxes available on the market.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
But the OP has specifically asked about automatic boxes. Yes DSG is more expensive IF it goes wrong, but not magnitudes more expensive than a normal auto. DSG is the best of the auto boxes available on the market.
Best in what sense? 8 speed ZF is pretty impressive ;)

Depends on the application. Some of them will be "dry", low torque boxes (like the one on my Wife's Polo), which are pretty much risk-free (or as risk-free as they come).
How does one know which one is installed?

Back
Top Bottom