that damn clicking noise

Associate
Hi all i have a quick question

i keep getting a click on my pc sounds like a electric arc if you know what mean , its not all the time maybe once every 10 seconds but its annoying the hell out of me .

I think its when there is increased power draw or possibly a power fluctuation like a fan is kicking in as it happens when the hd is accessed as i can hear the hd spin when it just happened . I know nothging about voltages ect but i have a xfx 550 psu and i am getting the following is this normal its 4 years old

running i7-4790k,gtx 980 strix oc , 2 x 1TB hdd(1 new wd blue , 1 old seagate ) , 1 x 120gb ssd

26804790120_a363ee4b56_b.jpg
[/url]voltages by Mark Thompson, on Flickr[/IMG]

please advise as i don't want anything to go pop , i am looking at evga 750w modular if that's any good

Associate
it might be the sign of old psu. If I recall correctly, your psu must be the XFX Core Edition 550w which is based on the Seasonic S12II platform. It is a well known issue of that platform, nothing wrong with the unit itself, it is just the annoying noise. Replacing with modern unit psu seems to be the only choice to avoid the noise.

Soldato
I remember seeing a guy with an EVGA getting the same noise so i thing it probably can happen on any unit, probably just bad luck if ya get a noisy one. I seem to always get the PSU with the noisy fan :)

Back
Top Bottom