*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Well...I was extremely bothered this evening after work...Walked in to our 'gym', and there was bleeding people in there!!!!! UGH!!! Put a right old spanner in my works :( Bloody students as well (Secondary school ones)

Now, some of you will think 'So what???'...Well, the thing is, our gym in the school is like 3metres squared! :p, so it's exceedingly tight for space with one person, let alone four!!!

Ugh :(

Soldato
anyone had a Tetanus booster after bulking out quite a bit ?

I had one this morning - and don'tremember much soreness in the past - now though really really aches like somones bashed me in my shoulder - similar feeling to a bee sting after the initial pain has worn off - its a struggle to lift the arm fully up ...right pain. wondered if it was that with more muscle the muscular effects are worse ?

Associate
Went to the gym today and did a bit of benching. Went ok but I can't help feeling that I could press more if my left bicep didn't feel weak!

Not an obviously muscle used during benching but for stabilisation purposes it could have been better. Anyone else found this or am I imagining things?

Caporegime
Went to the gym today and did a bit of benching. Went ok but I can't help feeling that I could press more if my left bicep didn't feel weak!

Not an obviously muscle used during benching but for stabilisation purposes it could have been better. Anyone else found this or am I imagining things?

I actually find my bi's get some use during benching :o

Soldato
I bulked from 65kg on about 3000 and im 5'11(and a bit :p)

Nice. Do you have progress pics in the pics thread? Would be motivating to see. :)

Well...I was extremely bothered this evening after work...Walked in to our 'gym', and there was bleeding people in there!!!!! UGH!!! Put a right old spanner in my works :( Bloody students as well (Secondary school ones)

I feel your pain! I used to have free reign of a private gym before but then they let friends and family come in and it was horrible! I use to have the whole gym to myself and loved it. Not looking forward to not being able to work out during the day time in the future. :(

anyone had a Tetanus booster after bulking out quite a bit ?

I had one this morning - and don'tremember much soreness in the past - now though really really aches like somones bashed me in my shoulder - similar feeling to a bee sting after the initial pain has worn off - its a struggle to lift the arm fully up ...right pain. wondered if it was that with more muscle the muscular effects are worse ?

Probably not wise to lift after an injection. I did Jiu Jitsu after one and that was bad enough. I think soreness is nothing unusual though.

Permabanned
Did a full body work out today on the weights, just kept it light but gave every muscle group a working, wish I had never gone because my bike got nicked outside the gym!

Caporegime
Hmmm...I need to work out my weight volumes, to see if it's best to carry on how I am...

Main question is chest days really, just wondering if I should keep the weight low currently on flys etc so I can actually control the weight and my form or go up a notch? Presuming the former is better, I just never seem to get decent doms on certain parts of the pec

Caporegime
Weighed 17st 10lbs dry this morning. Cut out coffee completely last weekend and seem to have lost a few lbs as a result. Been sleeping far better as well.

Managed a 100kg seated shoulder press for 5 reps yesterday which is a nice PB. Strength is flying up at the moment, one more week of lifting followed by a week off then 10 weeks of heavy 5x5 :cool:

Soldato
Hmmm...I need to work out my weight volumes, to see if it's best to carry on how I am...

Main question is chest days really, just wondering if I should keep the weight low currently on flys etc so I can actually control the weight and my form or go up a notch? Presuming the former is better, I just never seem to get decent doms on certain parts of the pec

Are you ever happy? :p

You seem to over complicate things!

Associate
Had a pretty awesome session yesterday. Have been benching 3x8x60kg all summer and desperately needed to change up.

Managed
6x60
5x70
5x75
1x80 (my PB)
5x75
9x60

Was doing squats in between each set as I was pressed for time and missed a leg workout the day before.

Amazing what a changing your routine will do, will never make the mistake of getting stuck in a pattern again.

Caporegime
Are you ever happy? :p

You seem to over complicate things!

Hah! I do indeed :p

I just want to get the right forms down to a T, as opposed to bashing at it for a few months then go, oh wait...

I can always feels DOMS in my legs now, and my back is being hit in the right places I feel (although my lower back is getting a pounding at the moment) It's just my chest :o I find it hard to get an overall 'dom' feeling on it, although today I can I guess, just not as much as I would expect :)

Soldato
I'm slowly getting used to the gym now and gradually upping the weights, concentrating on my technique.

I'm currently underweight due to a long term illness which I had for several years. I'm better now though and really want to build muscle and gain strength.

At the moment I'm starting out on this programme for the next 4 weeks which was devised by my trainer in the gym. He's getting me prepared and ready to do Stronglifts 5x5 which I should start in a couple of weeks.

Workout A:
Squat
Overhead Press
Barbell row

Workout B:
Squat
Bench press
Deadlift

At the moment we're just trying to get my technique right and it's going well. I've got the OHP, barbell row, bench press and deadlift sorted but I'm struggling a little with the squat because I have tight adductors and hamstrings which is causing my lower back to round a little when I go below parallel. Is there anything I can do to help with this?

I'm also running out of ideas on what to eat for lunch. I usually have oats early morning, 3 x eggs mid-late morning with wholegrain toast, lunch is usually chicken or fish pasta which is quickly getting boring, mid afternoon snack is sandwich/bagel or cashew nuts and a banana, dinner is always a home cooked meal usually high in protein and late at night I'm eating cottage cheese, yoghurt and a shake. I think I am eating enough now but I get bored of eating the same food very quickly.

Soldato
I can understand tri's and shoulder use during bench but bi's?! Thats a new one on me!

Yeah, don't ask how, because I have no idea...Maybe it's my arm positioning or something

I don't see it's weird for you two. The Bi's are needed to balance out the arm and stop your arms from collapsing inward.

They're just as important at the other muscles when benching, if your Bi's are weak they will fail.

I never trained Biceps and they were the ones that failed first once I went over 100kg on Bench pressing compared to Triceps, shoulders and lats which I actively trained to improve other lifts.

Caporegime
I don't see it's weird for you two. The Bi's are needed to balance out the arm and stop your arms from collapsing inward.

They're just as important at the other muscles when benching, if your Bi's are weak they will fail.

I never trained Biceps and they were the ones that failed first once I went over 100kg on Bench pressing compared to Triceps, shoulders and lats which I actively trained to improve other lifts.

Fair point, I presumed it was just due to how the lift was really, it gets some use yes, its not like im fatiguing my bi's, but yeah :)

I don't really train biceps separately at the moment, I may do a few bits every so often, but its always at the end

Permabanned
I'm doing nothing more strenuous than pull ups at the moment, til I've gotten the flexibility plan of icecold so I can sort out my posture etc. Not taking the chance of injuries after reading about some peoples experiences!

Noticed that under my armpits I've seen to grown a bit. Guess the pulls ups is helping there. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom