*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I tried that AR7 routine a couple of months back. Stuck to it for a couple of weeks but couldn't handle the intensity! Plus, 65% of 1RM is very hard. Think I had it at about 55-60% depending on the exercise before I could complete all the sets with active rest.

Associate
And there was me thinking it shoud be done slow with good form :confused:

As far as I'm aware good form is still required. On the bench press for example, pushing the bar up is explosive and the return down is controlled maybe even slower than usual. Are you imagining someone bouncing the bar around off their chest as fast as possible?

Man of Honour
Alright now Icecold?

Monday

Chest:
Incline Bench Press 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Chest Dips 3x10
Pec Dec 3x10

Biceps:
EZ Bar Curls 3x10
Concentration Curls 3x10

Forearms:
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls 3x10

Wednesday

Legs:
Squats 5x5
Leg Press 5x5

Shoulders:
Standing Military Press 5x5
Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise (sides) 3x10
Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise (front) 3x10
Dumbbell Shrugs 3x10

Friday

Back:
Wide Grip Pull Ups 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
T-Bar Rows 3x10
Seated Close Grip Pull Downs 3x10
One Arm Dumbbell Rows 3x10
Good Mornings 3x10

Triceps:
High Pulley Overhead Tricep Extensions 3x10
Skull crushers. 3x10

Looks good. Long sessions though! Don't see the need for forearm work really, I do agree with icecold about maybe adding some SLDLs too. Don't see the need for front raises with incline bench and bench and shoulder presses - but that's down to personal taste.

Lots of volume - what rest times will you have and what rep timings will you be doing?

Soldato
Looks good. Long sessions though! Don't see the need for forearm work really, I do agree with icecold about maybe adding some SLDLs too. Don't see the need for front raises with incline bench and bench and shoulder presses - but that's down to personal taste.?
I want to get my rotator cuffs really strong hence all the shoulder work, I buckled and added leg presses to leg day:D.

Lots of volume - what rest times will you have and what rep timings will you be doing?

Come again?

Start light and work up then? :)

I'd rather have a nice fat bar underneath me, hell, if the floor was 'proper' I'd drop the weight if I couldnt get back up
I will be starting light and working my way up on a squat rack. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Come again?

Are you going with fixed timings for your rest periods e.g. 30 seconds after each set or 60 seconds or are you not bothered about how long you rest between sets?

For the rep timings, would you go with say a 4 second downphase on squats i.e. relatively slow and controlled in the lowering portion of any lift or are you not focused on keeping to a timetable like this and it's all about just shifting the weight?

Soldato
Are you going with fixed timings for your rest periods e.g. 30 seconds after each set or 60 seconds or are you not bothered about how long you rest between sets?

For the rep timings, would you go with say a 4 second downphase on squats i.e. relatively slow and controlled or are you not focused on keeping to a timetable like this and it's all about just shifting the weight?
I'll be taking my time as opposed to rushing it.

Man of Honour
I want to get my rotator cuffs really strong hence all the shoulder work, I buckled and added leg presses to leg day:D.

Come again?

I will be starting light and working my way up on a squat rack. :)

For the rep timings, would you go with say a 4 second downphase on squats i.e. relatively slow and controlled in the lowering portion of any lift or are you not focused on keeping to a timetable like this and it's all about just shifting the weight?
That's basically what I meant.

Don't leave it too long between reps and as long as you do explosive positives and slow negatives controlling the movement that's what I meant. However, you undoubtedly know this already. :)

If you keep the squats nice and deep you'll get some ham activation - that's why I was suggesting SLDLs and why ice cold was suggesting front squats and or reverse DB lunges as they cane the hammies! :D

Man of Honour
care to expand/explain?

kd

330 reps

110 reps of bench
110 reps of BORs
110 reps of squats

Broken down into:

7 sets of 7 reps with 7s active rests in between each set
6 sets of 6 reps with 6s active rests
5 sets of 5 reps with 5s active rests

for the 3 exercises.

Active rest basically means not re-racking the bar and holding it fully extended for the rest time.

A lot of pain, swearing and shouting ensues. Hard hard work.

Soldato
330 reps

110 reps of bench
110 reps of BORs
110 reps of squats

Broken down into:

7 sets of 7 reps with 7s active rests in between each set
6 sets of 6 reps with 6s active rests
5 sets of 5 reps with 5s active rests

for the 3 exercises.

Active rest basically means not re-racking the bar and holding it fully extended for the rest time.

A lot of pain, swearing and shouting ensues. Hard hard work.

I can imagine! What kind of weight were you doing? %of max wise?

kd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom