*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Would squats and seated leg presses be enough for a leg routine?
If you won't do anything else it's better than nothing, but I wouldn't ever choose it over SLDL, front squats or reverse lunges for a strength routine.

There are a few other things in there that are superfluous for a non-bulking strength only routine.

pec deck
forearm work
leg press - somewhat open to debate
shoulder isolation

...all things that are more bodybuilding orientated. That's fine, but that's not what you said you wanted.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being overly critical, not my intention to be a **** ;)
Cheers dude.

Felt like the speed work I did last week really helped tonight. My sticking point's always been the first few inches off my chest but everything up to and including 150 flew up today. Think I might include speed work in my routine for a month or two after Christmas depending on how my shoulders feel. They did not like speed week! :o
Yeah I love speed work, I'm currently doing speed bench and speed squats (off a box) every week. There's not really room for speed deads on a regular basis, but I'm going to try and fit them in when my regular deads get heavy.

Be careful with your shoulder, big benchers tend to get very tight in the pec and anterior delt. If nothing else, a little soft tissue work with a lacrosse ball will help massively.

Soldato
If you won't do anything else it's better than nothing, but I wouldn't ever choose it over SLDL, front squats or reverse lunges for a strength routine.

There are a few other things in there that are superfluous for a non-bulking strength only routine.

pec deck
forearm work
leg press - somewhat open to debate
shoulder isolation

...all things that are more bodybuilding orientated. That's fine, but that's not what you said you wanted.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being overly critical, not my intention to be a **** ;)
I'm not going to do front squats as well as normal squats that'll drive me nuts, its one or the other! The shoulder isolation is because I want strong rotator cuffs.

Exercising my forearms to match my upper arms just makes sense as I'll look ****ing odd with big biceps and small forearms. also whats the point of SLDL if I'm doing deadlifts? Should I skip the pec dec then?

From previous experience of using a leg press with well over 600 kilos on it I was hitting my hamstrings. I guess what works for some wont nessisarly work for others.

I guess what people need to grasp about me is I have only ever lifted for fun kind of thing and my focus was all on lifting big and not so much on the nutritional side of things, which I now know goes hand in hand.

I do want strength and endurance but wouldn't mind a bit of mass. I'm learning new things here but there is so much to take in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not going to do front squats as well as normal squats that'll drive me nuts, its one or the other! The shoulder isolation is because I want strong rotator cuffs.

Exercising my forearms to match my upper arms just makes sense as I'll look ****ing odd with big biceps and small forearms. also whats the point of SLDL if I'm doing deadlifts? Should I skip the pec dec then?

Eh? SLDL's are completely different to deadlifts :p

I understand the rotator cuff thing as I've done mine over before, just don't 'over' work it :)

Also, just throw some random reverse lunges in there, you'll thank us later ;)

Soldato
Eh? SLDL's are completely different to deadlifts :p
Looks very similar to me :confused:

As I've already said From previous experience of using a leg press with well over 600 kilos on it I was hitting my hamstrings. I guess what works for some wont nessisarly work for others.

Soldato
I think it's down to how hard you hit your hammys tho mate. Yes, you might be hitting them, but not anywhere near as effectively as doing an exercise than specifically targets the hammy as a primary muscle group.

Soldato
I think it's down to how hard you hit your hammys tho mate. Yes, you might be hitting them, but not anywhere near as effectively as doing an exercise than specifically targets the hammy as a primary muscle group.

It helps if you bring your knees right back to your chest and have your heels of your feet planted wide apart at the edges of the plate.

Soldato
It helps if you bring your knees right back to your chest and have your heels of your feet planted wide apart at the edges of the plate.

I can wholly believe you get hammy activation, I'm not disagreeing there. But you'll hit them a lot more with a different exercise. C'mon, you know this, you're just being stubborn :p

Soldato
An SLDL will target the hams more due to more 'resistance' presumably, and the movement.

However wait till someone clever comes along to explain further :p
Know doubt they will, but I'm sticking to what I know as there are alternative exercises to hit the hamstrings which I personally find effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom