*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Also, it loosk to me - although I could be wrong - that Delvis has a different coloured patch on his heels. Could be what you think is the heel raising is in fact but the different colour patch of his sock catching the light.

Associate
That video is a high bar squat, Delvis does low bar squat :)

Personally I've been squatting in socks for quite a while and had no problems.

I know, which is why I recommended the Rippetoe vids first, they're all low-bar. I squat low bar too. But the Pendlay ones still have useful information, in particular the stretches to help reach full depth.

Caporegime
Squatting sans shoes for the win :)

Personally I think Delvis should be squatting much heavier than that. Looks like you could squat 100kg easily.

100kg...heh maybe! Not tried it yet. Will try PB's at some point :)

Agreed, my friend who joined the gym 8 months ago is squatting 110 for 3 sets of 8 now.

Wouldn't be able to do that, somethings wrong with me, I've been squatting progressively for months...:(

Doubt I'd be able to do 3 x 8 x 100KG sadly, 50KG is going to fun let alone double! :p

Also, it loosk to me - although I could be wrong - that Delvis has a different coloured patch on his heels. Could be what you think is the heel raising is in fact but the different colour patch of his sock catching the light.

As said on BookFace, I did indeed have coloured heels on those socks, like dark blue or something verging on black...That and the surround sock + mats are black :p Doesn't help matters, keep meaning to take some white ones in to use for vids.

Ta for the pointers SMed, will keep them all in mind. Sadly i'll be staying in my socks for the time being, as I literally cannot afford a pair of shoes for £5 let alone £60. I try the compensating thing regarding to the knees, but as said I have tight hips, so hopefully this will fix with time as i'm working on them now :)

Associate
That squat looks ok Delvis, you aren't going to damage yourself doing it.

The foot thing is odd because it does look like you are lifting your heel slightly but then if you watch the foot for the whole rep the toe also moves around a bit so I'm not entirely sure what you are doing there. If you could do another video without socks that may provide better insight, and really try to focus on having pressure on all of your foot but keeping the majority going through your heel.

I wouldn't bother with lifting shoes, they aren't cheap and for you there is no point. They are good if you are doing something like competitive oly lifting because the the extension they give in the ankle allows more quad to be recruited into the movement. However lots of people buy them because they have crummy ankle ROM and struggle to get into a powerful bottom position but lifting shoes negate the ankle problems because of the support. My brother and I always squat barefoot or in vibrams and there is nothing wrong with it.

I think form wise the only thing you need to focus on more is really emphasizes the glute drive all of the way through the movement. For example:

Some of my brother's squats

And some of my goblets

Also you'll notice that the knee always come forwards on those videos. There is also nothing wrong with this if you are doing it correctly, that is with your knees coming outside your foot base. This is explained lots it Kelly Starret's videos (Mwod) so I won't bother with it too much but essentially the more you can throw your knees out the better as long as you aren't compromising other areas of the form.

Wow, that was longer than I thought :), none the less it's looking good keep it up.

Caporegime
Ta Dom, will get a barefoot vid up to show.

I can probably explain the toes...I sometimes 'lift' them so I get heal drive, not always intentional, it's more so I don't lean on to my toes and drive up that way.

Will keep working on form (as always) but in general it't not the worst thing I guess.

Associate
Hey guys, I need some advice

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to solve this situation.

I go to the gym at my university. It cost £180 for the year and I wasn't once given a contract to sign or documents to read.

I received an e-mail today telling me that the weights room (squat racks, benches, etc) was to be closed every Tuesday from 16:00 - 19:00 until further notice. I strolled up there at 17:30 today just to see if it was really true.

Indeed the door said that the gym was closed - but it was due to it being used by the "talented athletes" group - worse is they weren't even using any of the equipment, they were just standing around talking.

I asked an employee there why this was the case and he said a private company had organised to use the room at this time - the time cannot be changed.

What I don't understand is firstly, why can't this be when it's not peak times? This is an incredibly busy gym and not allowing paying customers to use the facilities at this time clogs up the rest of the week's schedules.

and secondly, is this legal? Since I wasn't shown a contract, I can only assume that customers are not receiving what they've paid for and are being treated unequally compared to a private company.

I'll be sending the manager an email but I want to know if there are legal issues involved - if not, has anyone had anything similar to this happen?

Thanks guys

Soldato
Sup guys :)

Funny old week for me. Cut going well last week, down a few lbs and looking leaner. Went away at the weekend, ate out a couple of times so was a bit of a cheat :D Then on sunday my stomach felt like crap for some reason, only ate 2 rashers of bacon in the morning(9am ish) and then didn't eat a thing until 6pm when i finally managed to get a sandwich down.
Last 2 days have been hectic sorting out house problems, had a bit of a mental breakdown this morning then went to the gym and destroyed shoulders and felt awesome :p Weight currently at 183lbs, abs are on the way out a bit and i'm definitely getting some serratus and shoulder definition coming on. Arms same size so that must be a good sign :o

Edit: Oh and i think i might change my gym time to 2pm instead of 5 permanently, much quieter and less idiots so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom