*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Swimming is fine, a good way to exercise.
I don't like certain leg press machines, they are pretty bad for the knees. What type of leg press machine do you have?

I would say the crap one. You sit in the chair, and put your feet on the pad. The pad doesnt move but the chair does....

Maybe I should fined another gym to go to, with better equipment...

Soldato
Solution: No-hands butterfly swimming, as if you were a dolphin! :cool:

ha ha :rolleyes:

the problem is that I had an acl graft about 6 years ago, but the surgeon didnt put the graft (tunnel) in the optimal position - i.e its a cm out from where it should be. This is causing the bones to rub ogether given me pain.

Walking seems to be making this worse.

Physio's and surgeones have told me it will get better as the leg gets stronger....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hm...I used to have chronic knee issues when I was younger, just squatting down with BW would hurt LOADS, along with cycling...

Eventually it just went :p Either way, if it's that bad, i'd go see someone :) Thought about wearing straps on the knee or something? See if it helps for the time being?

Associate
Would anyone care to explain why Strong Lifts is so good at building strength despite it being very short in sets and reps?

I've gone from starting at 30kg BP to now being able to lift 50kg and thats only having been on the plan for 2 and a bit weeks. I'm in no way sceptical of it effectiveness, just purely interested how and why it works so well?

Soldato
This is the leg press I use, with a nice wide stance I can get the knees out. The ROM isn't so restricted as the basic leg press on rails.

4664864955_46d0680188_z.jpg

We also have these 2 but I don't like them because they are rough on the knees and less natural ROM.

this http://www.innofitinc.com/images/45_Degree_Leg_Press_Silver_w_Red.jpg
and this http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/135/cea354f0cb884344a7a0401368567a72/l.jpg

This is the one I use.

l.jpg

I dont like it. I prefer the ones where the seat doesnt move but the pad you have your feet on does.

the physio has asked me to do single leg presses.

From the above picture, are his feet in an optimal position? I would have thought they should be higher, i.e the shin bone should be parallel from starting position.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know if this has been posted before, but tried this today in the gym and it really helped. I started with the bar, then added 10kgs a time after 5 slow controlled reps of each up to 80kgs which is where I am currently at with SL.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's not a bad video, but it does exaggerate the movement somewhat. I don't think about hip drive, I just think about keeping my back tight and at a good angle. I let the hips power through and lock me out at the top.

Associate
I'm 69kg, and trying to pack on the beef. I've put on about 9kgs in a few months, after losing 10kgs of fat after cutting down. I'm 6'2"

What made you want to cut down from 11 stone at 6'2"? You can't have been particularly tubby? In fact you must have been pretty stick thin already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom