*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
If you're anywhere near failing on your first day, you've set your weights FAR too high.

The fist few sessions should be easy. Have you read up on how to use the programme?

I took the weight value as the mid point of my first week of the 5/3/1 mesocycle, however that didn't take into account the fact that I haven't squatted and done deads on the same day in months.

I have re-calculated my deads based on managing 2 reps at 90. So I have rerun the spreadsheet and it comes out at 82.5.

I managed the squats and bench without a problem - guess I just set my sights too high too soon!

What's your thoughts on the Heavy Squats on preceeding days?

To echo this, programmes such as SS and SL always start you light, so you can get your form right and then progress properly. Not that I've read up on SS, but on SL, they basically say you shouldn't really stall on your first 12 weeks if doing it properly (although that purely depends on diet, rest etc).

I'm not going into SS and SL from having no lifting experience, I did SS and SL for 5 months, and then switched to 5/3/1. I deloaded my squats in that time to work on the form, so I'm pretty comfortable with my form (with the exception of last weeks slight discomfort).

Soldato
I'm not going into SS and SL from having no lifting experience, I did SS and SL for 5 months, and then switched to 5/3/1. I deloaded my squats in that time to work on the form, so I'm pretty comfortable with my form (with the exception of last weeks slight discomfort).

Im not saying that you are :). Even experienced lifters have to deload their weight while on the program.

Associate
Ticking along nicely.

Squat:
60x3 (hips hurt, needed to warm up a little more)
60x8 (MUCH better)
80x5
105x3
115x2
125x1
135x5
135x5
135x5

Bench:
50x5
50x5 (wrists hurting from those dodgy pushpresses last week)
60x3 (got out the wraps)
60x5 (much better)
70x4f (?)
70x5 (fast)
75x5
80x2f (was going for 3)
80x3

Chin ups:
BWx7
BWX5
BWX5
BWX5

Incline Dumbbell Press: (never done these before, went very light)
15x8
20x4
20x5
20x6
20x5

Squats felt good, even though I'm adding 5kg a session, they've all felt about the same difficulty that 110kg did a couple of weeks ago. If I get 140kg for 3 sets of 5, that will technically be a PB since I've never done 3 sets of 5, only 1 set of 5 at 140kg. And I'm 4-5kg lighter and not any any supps whatsoever right now. I need to get back on whey and creatine.

Associate
To echo this, programmes such as SS and SL always start you light, so you can get your form right and then progress properly. Not that I've read up on SS, but on SL, they basically say you shouldn't really stall on your first 12 weeks if doing it properly (although that purely depends on diet, rest etc).

I occasionally stall on my last set of benches, but not every session however. It's mainly when I'm on the session where I've upped the weight. Should I give myself a little extra rest time during these lifts?

On a positive note though, in the month I've been on my new 'regime' I've lost close to half a stone and doubled my lifting capability in all exercises, bar squat, I really need to get it sorted!!

:D

Soldato
Legs/chest session done

Squats 82.5x12 87.5x11 92.5x10
GHR's 3x8 a bit quick but felt good
Leg press 100x10 150x10 170x8
Leg Curls 50x10 55x8 55x8
Bench press 65x7 70x6 75x6
Bench flys 3x10x15

Squats are lighter weight at the moment as working on form

Here are my 87.5 and 92.5 sets

Soldato
I occasionally stall on my last set of benches, but not every session however. It's mainly when I'm on the session where I've upped the weight. Should I give myself a little extra rest time during these lifts?

On a positive note though, in the month I've been on my new 'regime' I've lost close to half a stone and doubled my lifting capability in all exercises, bar squat, I really need to get it sorted!!

:D

How much of a rest do you give yourself at the moment?

Congrats on the positive note bit. Amazing what a little change can do! :D

Caporegime
Nice work Syla5 :)

Looking good really, hardly any bum wink at all, and looking pretty solid all round really.

You could perhaps go 'slightely' lower, but I'm guessing it's due to overall tightness? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about that anyway :p

Soldato
You could perhaps go 'slightely' lower, but I'm guessing it's due to overall tightness? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about that anyway :p

Thanks Devlis

I think that if i go any lower i wink, off the top of my head rep 3 of the 92.5kg set you can see that i go just slightly lower and i wink. Tightness is the issues, but got my foam roller/lacrosse ball on the way all i need now is a decent resistance band and time :)

Caporegime
Thanks Devlis

I think that if i go any lower i wink, off the top of my head rep 3 of the 92.5kg set you can see that i go just slightly lower and i wink. Tightness is the issues, but got my foam roller/lacrosse ball on the way all i need now is a decent resistance band and time :)

Either way mate, don't knock what you are doing, you've made good progress in what...A couple of weeks or so? :p I'd be happy with that form overall, and if you get butt wink going lower, just don't go lower yet :)

Soldato
Not yet...

I was bending over just tidying up some cables the other day at my computer desk and that cause enough aggro afterwards :o

Doing my head in, all I did was some damn supersets!!!

Don't lie, you had a pokey-bum tug and the reach around put your back out! :p

Caporegime
What supersets did you do? :eek:

Nothing major.

Some squats, then front raises and side raises =/ Just felt it get some insane pump (thats what it felt like anyway) and that was it.

Don't lie, you had a pokey-bum tug and the reach around put your back out! :p

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Probably done some everlasting damage just like I have to my shoulder and ankle :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom