*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
doing some hang cleans today (worked up to 60kg woot shoulder on the repair :D) then got intense abdominal pain and cut the session short. Not sure if its from pulling my ab muscles or not letting my food digest but 1 hour later its still hurting :(

Soldato
OP
Loooooong absence from this thread due to some illness (chest infection, no energy) and additionally some rough time in my personal/family life left me with no motivation :(

Returned to the gym Monday just gone to do a bit of everything to get me back in the right frame of mind - loved it :D

Proper return today on my day off and a new PB for 5x5 squats (65kg) and I kept my old weight of 45kg for the bench and 70kg for the deadlift which I did 5x5 instead of the suggested 1x5 which felt like cheating.

Additionally I'd like to remind you all to keep your home gyms tidy: I tripped on and subsequently crushed a toolbox and destroyed a wooden frame for an indoor snooker table.....pictures to follow!

Man of Honour
Gym was slightly help back by the fact that on the way there the suspension fell off my car . . .

. . . Sweet.
*shakes fist at car gods*

Get well soon x
Don't worry it hasn't :) I'm not even training at the moment. Just doing core and cardio for various reasons.

I'll get back on to the foot and stuff, time has been against me, and I can feel my shin / ankle 'twisting' again =/ Stupid thing
Good :) Sorry if that sounded abrupt, reading it back the tone isn't quite as I intended!

I'm still battling my ankle, kind of feels like 2 steps forwards 1 step back at the moment.
Has anyone ever felt like crying or just collapsing after a gym session?

I spent 3 hours in the gym yesterday doing a combination of weights and cardio, my body didn't know what the hell was going and went straight to bed as soon as I got home - 15 hours sleep :eek:

I won't be doing that again in a hurry, was a bit ott.
Haha I'd call that a good session :D

Played two and a half hours of squash today, for the first time in years! Great fun though, and my ankle was mostly fine (so I can sprint, play squash(?!?!?!), but not squat :/). Fitness, on the other hand, was shocking!

Soldato
Just had a good Leg and Shoulders session:

BB Squats: 5x65kg, 5x65kg, 5x70kg, 5x70kg, 5x75kg
BB SLDL: 5x75kg, 5x75kg, 5x80kg, 5x80kg, 5x85kg
Seated Calf Extensions (leg press machine): 5x135kg, 5x145kg, 5x155kg, 5x165kg, 5x175kg.
DB Stepup Lunges, 2x22kg: 5x5 each leg
DB Goblet Squats, 5x5@48kg.
BB Standing calf raises: 5x70kg, 5x70kg, 5x80kg, 5x90kg, 3x110kg (grip failed), 5x110kg mixed grip.

Seated DB Shoulder press, 8x20kg, 8x28kg, 8x28kg
2xDB Front raises: 8x20kg, 8x18kg, 8x12kg
2xDB Side raises: 8x20kg, 8x16kg, 8x8kg
Smith Shoulder press: 8x30kg, 8x25kg, 8x20kg.

Vibrating plate thing set to high:

60 seconds plank
60 seconds calf massage
60 seconds hamstring massage
60 seconds calf stretch
60 seconds Hamstring stretch

Stretching all leg muscles and shoulders.

Plan next time is to use a step for my standing calf raises so I'm getting a better rom even if it means dropping the weight. Also want to get my squats to 80kg if possible as well as see a better weight on the step ups and goblet squats. I made sure my form was spot on, it certainly made the goblet squats a lot harder this time around.

My dedicated shoulder day next week should hopefully see better progress. I might migrate to a barbell next time instead of the smith machine.

Tomorrow will be chest day, looking forwards to it. :)

Just stuffed my face with loads of chilli con carne and a big bowl of salad.

Edit: Shoulders were literally screaming by the time I started the smith machine presses. My legs feel like rubber too...tomorrows doms will be fun!

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:

dod

dod

Soldato
Good chest session tonight, repping the 30kG dumbells properly now. Total of 5640kG which is a decent volume for me. Weight seems to be up slightly which I suppose is to be expected as I've halved the cardio sessions without adjusting food.

Soldato
Good chest session tonight, repping the 30kG dumbells properly now. Total of 5640kG which is a decent volume for me. Weight seems to be up slightly which I suppose is to be expected as I've halved the cardio sessions without adjusting food.

Good work!

My weight is still at 78.5kg, which is why I'm only doing 30 mins of cardio a week for the moment (tomorrow).

Also, my calluses are being quite bothersome today, they're pretty painful:

IMAG0232res.jpg

IMAG0233res.jpg

A little blurry, my hands are still shaking from todays workout.

Do I just have to suck it up where my calluses are concerned?

Kind regards,

David

Soldato
Also, my calluses are being quite bothersome today, they're pretty painful:

A little blurry, my hands are still shaking from todays workout.

Do I just have to suck it up where my calluses are concerned?

Kind regards,

David
Mine used to get to the point where it would start causing problem for me in the gym when they would rip off, bleed and be very painful. To sort it I started using gloves but only on certain things on back day, as that seemed to be the worst for them, the rest of the time i use no gloves at all. I still get them but they never get to the point of being a problem any more.

Soldato
Mine used to get to the point where it would start causing problem for me in the gym when they would rip off, bleed and be very painful. To sort it I started using gloves but only on certain things on back day, as that seemed to be the worst for them, the rest of the time i use no gloves at all. I still get them but they never get to the point of being a problem any more.

Cheers for your reply,

Hopefully mine will be better by morning. Definitely seems to be more of a problem on the big exercises for me because the weight gets pretty high and my grip starts to falter.

I have some gloves in my gym bag, but I don't think I have worn them for 3-4 years now.

Kind regards,

David

Soldato
I have been doing a fullbody routine over the last few months and havent really made enough progress and am also finding it hard doing doing say benchpress after doing dumbel press etc....

Thinking of switching to a 3 day split.

How does this look?

Day 1 – push – train all upper body pushing muscles
Chest
Flat bench press, warm up for two sets then 4 working sets of 8 reps
Incline Flyes warm up and then 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Shoulders
Bent over lateral raise 4x12
Seated dumbbell press warm up and then 4 sets of 8 working reps
Side lateral raise 2 sets of 10 reps
Triceps extension warm up and 3 sets of 8
Pushdowns palms up warm up and 3 sets of 8
Calves any exercise 3 sets of 15 reps

Day 2 Legs
Leg curls warm up and 4 sets of 12
Leg press or squat warm up and then 3 sets of 20
Leg extensions 3 sets of 12 reps
Any Calf exercise 3 sets of 15 reps

Day 3 – pull – train all upper body pulling muscles
Straight arm pull downs 2 sets of 12
Pull downs warm up and then 4 sets of 10
Bent over rows 3 sets of 8
Bent over laterals 3 sets of 12
Barbell curl 3 sets of 10
Hammer curl 3 sets of 10
Calves any exercise 3 sets of 15 reps

Caporegime
Good :) Sorry if that sounded abrupt, reading it back the tone isn't quite as I intended!

I'm still battling my ankle, kind of feels like 2 steps forwards 1 step back at the moment.

Thats alrite, I didn't read it in a bad way chap :)

Our house is finally getting sorted, so i'll have more space to do stuff soon...That coupled with slowly getting back in to things I can work on it more at the gym etc.

Can't wait quite frankly!!!! I hate going in to the gym and just looking at the Oly bars :( It's a crime dammit!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom