*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
You can find everything we're talking about in here on external sites... I think it'd be cool to have an OcUK homegrown form video thread. I know you guys realise how important form is but a lot of newbies and even some people that have been gyming for a while don't, and fail to realise how important it is. Maybe a dedicated thread with user uploaded examples/critiques would show how the importance of good form, as well as just being handy :p

Soldato
I've got an "Exercise Directory" that I made for my athletes, which has instructions on how to perform all the basic (and some weirder!) exercises. I could post that up if people think it would be useful...?

That would be great, would help a lot of people as the thread seems to bringing in a few new faces who will end up asking the same questions anyway :)

Soldato
I've got an "Exercise Directory" that I made for my athletes, which has instructions on how to perform all the basic (and some weirder!) exercises. I could post that up if people think it would be useful...?

Do it, and FF bring back the old sticky system. Having the important stuff hidden away is helping no-one.

Icecold do a Bristol 'Lets fix the gymratz' session, I'll come :cool:.

Caporegime
got a bit of a cough and a cold coming on :(

im going to get a session in before my breathing gets to bad so im watching pumping iron as a motivator whilst i work out lol

maybe thats not a such a good idea trying to do a bench press set and someones telling arnie

some guy: see the king of the hill can only go down, so the wolf on the hill is not as hungry as the wolf trying to come up.
arnie: thats true but if the wolf on top gets hungry the food is already there.

i burst out laughing :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dunno if this is correct or not...But you may be lifting your bum before the rest of the movement kicks in? Otherwise it looks pretty good

Hopefully someone else can pop along who has more of a keener eye :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looks good sigma. Couple things
1. Returning the weight. RDL the weight until it's clear of your knees then drop it down. Going down your thighs and over your knees isn't the best.
2. Feet should be a little closer together. Imagine you were trying to jump up onto a high box and need the most power. That should give you an idea on feet spacing.
3. You can easily go heavier, this will expose any other issues. It's hard to be solid/tight on light weights.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just for advanced warning, there are no instructions on how to do wrist curls :(

I'll polish it up today and get the thread started :)

I'm all for a gymratz Bristol meet, maximum laziness mode!

Soldato
It's as satisfying to me as, uh, coming is, you know? As, ah, having sex with a woman and coming. And so can you believe how much I am in heaven? I am like, uh, getting the feeling of coming in a gym, I'm getting the feeling of coming at home, I'm getting the feeling of coming backstage when I pump up, when I pose in front of 5,000 people, I get the same feeling, so I am coming day and night. I mean, it's terrific.

Soldato
Dunno if this is correct or not...But you may be lifting your bum before the rest of the movement kicks in? Otherwise it looks pretty good

Hopefully someone else can pop along who has more of a keener eye :p

Yeah, that's a possibility. Tbh, I think that knowing I was recording it didn't do much help :o

Looks good sigma. Couple things
1. Returning the weight. RDL the weight until it's clear of your knees then drop it down. Going down your thighs and over your knees isn't the best.
2. Feet should be a little closer together.

Yeah, will have to work on the lowering. When you mean RDL (roman deadlift?) do you just mean lower the weight down using back or knees?

Thanks

Caporegime
It's as satisfying to me as, uh, coming is, you know? As, ah, having sex with a woman and coming. And so can you believe how much I am in heaven? I am like, uh, getting the feeling of coming in a gym, I'm getting the feeling of coming at home, I'm getting the feeling of coming backstage when I pump up, when I pose in front of 5,000 people, I get the same feeling, so I am coming day and night. I mean, it's terrific.

Shame he goes on to say that was a wind up :p

Sigma, RDL is just that, RDL :p Get it down to the knees and 'drop' the weight.

Man of Honour
OK, it appears it really wasn't that hard to get a vid, I just lifted in the corner! Skill, you were correct :)

30kg

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=30kg.mp4

35kg

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=35kg.mp4

Then I remembered to take my trainers off for 40kg

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=40kgside.mp4

40kg from behind, not a great video

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=40kgback.mp4

Obviously my chin should be down. Does my chest need to be pushed out more?
Disregarding the lifts with trainers...

Put some weight on the bar, your form is fine, you berk :p

Narrow your stance, coordinate your leg drive better - apart from that, good stuff.

Now for some actual lifting :D

Caporegime
Disregarding the lifts with trainers...

Put some weight on the bar, your form is fine, you berk :p

Narrow your stance, coordinate your leg drive better - apart from that, good stuff.

Now for some actual lifting :D

Blunt, but good really :p

You could be lifting a lot more sigma, easily get double that. Naturally don't just slap on another 40kg, work up to it mind :)

Soldato
RDL = Romanian Deadlift I believe. Basically, pivot at the hip, keeping tension in the back til you've cleared your knees. Then you bend at the whilst continuing to pivot until the bar returns to the floor.

LiE's advice is spot on though. Feet in a bit closer, RDL the bar to the floor. Good attempt at glute drive though, just need more weight :)

Soldato
OK cool!!! :D I guess I'm just paranoid about the back.

How does one go about co-ordinating drive better? Will it just come with time?

I'll add more weight (perhaps starting at 40 for the first set? or Should I try 50? Obviously I will warm up and do a few with just the bar) and shall take a vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom