• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Awesome, enjoy :)
Rest day for me.. I get a little sad on rest days because I enjoy lifting so much. Oh well, 117.5Kg + set tomorrow on bench press. In cycle 2 I did 117.5x9, cycle 3 I did 122.5x9, so hopefully I should get 10, 11 is probably just out reach but we shall see.

Soldato
Quick question... i've just got back into weights after a long time out. I worked out on Monday and i still ache... Should i work out today and work through the aches or is it because my body is not used to the stress and i should weight until Friday before my next workout and allow my muscles to recover.

Man of Honour
Quick question... i've just got back into weights after a long time out. I worked out on Monday and i still ache... Should i work out today and work through the aches or is it because my body is not used to the stress and i should weight until Friday before my next workout and allow my muscles to recover.

Working through DOMS is fine, crack on :)

Soldato
Well my 2 week break starts today (Holiday, just incase anyone thinks im skiving :p). A good time to heal the body before putting it through its paces again (hopefully with right form this time), once I get back.

Going to try and get some mobility work done while im away, when I get a free moment. Really want to keep up on that side of things.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Yep, just plow on buddy :)

Unless it physically affects your lifting I wouldn't worry...IE it's not doms and you've actually torn something :p

I have deadlifts today and I'm a little excited :p

I hate you -_-

Caporegime
Squats last night and extreme muscle and joint ache today. I appear to still be burnt out after 10 days of complete rest and will need at least a week or two to recover completely. 3 weeks of workouts, 3 weeks to recover? Goodbye and good riddance 5/3/1.

Caporegime
Shame :( 531 is such a great program. I think the BBB was overkill and that's what has messed you up.
Probably, but I think you need to go in to any routine with confidence and I just don't have any left with 5/3/1 right now. Certainly won't completely right it off but I need to get back to basics and build myself back up before trying it again.

Knew as soon as I got up this morning and felt my hips and knees aching I was still burnt out, just didn't think it would last this long. Felt like I was starting to fatigue during my third week, which is why I performed so poorly, and haven't really felt right since.

Will take the rest of the week off then do a week of light speed work then start at around 75% of my 5RM for each lift and build everything back up slowly. Wasted a few months of progression but **** happens :)

Caporegime
Will take the rest of the week off then do a week of light speed work then start at around 75% of my 5RM for each lift and build everything back up slowly. Wasted a few months of progression but **** happens :)

Part of the learning curve I guess. Not saying you aren't experienced because I know you are! But there are always things we don't know about our bodies and how it reacts to certain stresses etc etc, as I've found out recently

I'm itching to get in and do my chest day....50 minutes left!!! ARGGGGH

Soldato
How do you guys plan a gym routine? Do you use some website?
I'm only doing cardio at the moment 3times weekly... but would like to factor in some weights.
Legs, chest, abs (core?)...

Associate
Smolov Day 7, week 2:

Squats:
60x5
85x4
100x2
110x1
125x1
137.5x5
137.5x5
137.5x5
137.5x5
137.5x5
137.5x5
137.5x5

All very, very easy. My training partner who's doing the same as me, quite after 4 sets. Something about his pussy hurting...

Soldato
How do you guys plan a gym routine? Do you use some website?
I'm only doing cardio at the moment 3times weekly... but would like to factor in some weights.
Legs, chest, abs (core?)...

For myself I find out what exercises are best for me, then split it into different days like legs, chest and back.

Focussing on a few very good exercises, the rest are mostly extras that will help to compliment the main ones.

Abs or core work would be an extra for most, as if you do the big compound exercises your core will be hit pretty hard.

There are a few decent sites to look at
http://articles.elitefts.net/
http://www.t-nation.com/archives.do

Soldato
For myself I find out what exercises are best for me, then split it into different days like legs, chest and back.

Focussing on a few very good exercises, the rest are mostly extras that will help to compliment the main ones.

Abs or core work would be an extra for most, as if you do the big compound exercises your core will be hit pretty hard.

There are a few decent sites to look at
http://articles.elitefts.net/
http://www.t-nation.com/archives.do

To add to this, something like Stronglifts 5x5 is a good beginner program to get used to the big compound movements.

If you're looking at something like that, then check out the Mobility Thread for tips on perfecting your form for lifts such as Squats and Deadlifts.

Stronglifts also has its own thread here if you want to ask any specific questions or see how people are progressing on it.

Hope that helps somewhat :)

Man of Honour
Thinking of starting my own podcast, talking about general training stuff, diet, competing and supplements etc

Was going to do it on a weekly basis and was hoping a few guys on here would be keen. Do a Skype conference call and do it that way. Can have a laugh and see how we get on.

Associate
Thinking of starting my own podcast, talking about general training stuff, diet, competing and supplements etc

Was going to do it on a weekly basis and was hoping a few guys on here would be keen. Do a Skype conference call and do it that way. Can have a laugh and see how we get on.

Which training podcasts have you listened to before? I used to listen to loads for about 2 years, but just grew bored of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom