• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The key thing with KK is that most of the rounding comes in his thoracic spine (where you ribs are), it is a lot safer to have rounding there than you lumbar just by the nature of the musculature and how is is loaded. On top of this the level of flexion/extension in his back doesn't change throughout the lift, this is primarily when **** hits the fan for back injuries.

Also there has been some debate in powerlifting about almost intentionally rounding your upper back because injuries occur so infrequently from this and it also shortens the ROM slightly which is obviously beneficial in a strength sport.

There are some theories that after you get to a certain level of strength, the stiffness and muscle mass that comes with it will almost protect your back from injuries, although I have no idea if there is any scientific basis to this :).

Man of Honour
Your back certainly shouldn't be rounding with less than 200kg. To look at a guy like Konstantinovs and try to adopt aspects of his form as a beginner is doing it very wrong. There are 100s of adaptations that have occurred over many years of training that make lifting like that possible. If your upper back is rounding at this stage, it's fairly likely that your lumbar is moving too.

As a beginner, you need to be focussing on having your back straight. Even when you start lifting over 2xbodyweight your form should be tending towards promoting a neutral spine.

Direct advice: be stricter with your form, and stop the set when you feel it slipping. It might be worth strengthening your upper back, but it should take care of itself.

Associate
I meant to add that I wouldn't consider it safe to round any part of your back ever, especially when you haven't been lifting 20+ years. Don't be that guy ;).

Soldato
Get a vid of the deadlift Tommy :) I don't wanna see any back round or I will hunt you down a kick you!

I'm not promising perfect form during a 1RM, sorry man :p But will get a vid for you to look at!

Smash the **** out of your back Morba!!!! :D

Soldato
It's that quick.

I had the same effect when I got injured, it just happens so fast.

If you look closely you can see his back is arching even more as he attempts the lift, then snap.

Associate
Is there a reason you didn't try higher than 230? Seriously, it looked 250 was there had you struggled. I dunno, I think people can get a little too OCD about form sometimes, but I understand the arguments.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Nah I was just damn tired, this was my 2nd attempt at 230 as well. I'm a lot stronger and more confident now so will be good to see where I end up next time I do some maxes.

Soldato
LiE makes things look easy even when hes right at his limit. He seems to have a yes/no function inbuilt. if its gonna happen it will if it isnt, it wont!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom