*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Gah poor session in the end last night.
Was more about technique than strength, or at least that was the aim.

One motion log press, from floor each rep.
Sets of 3.
70 (empty log)
70 (form getting better at this point, powering it up from the belly quite well).
85x2
90x1 - Well happy with this! 90kg one motion log, clearly shows working on technique is a good thing.

on to some pressing, 1 clean then press for sets from chest. Idea was to think like I was one motioning the log but then racking it on chest.
70x5
80x3
90x1 OUCH. 1 callous on each hand pops. little bit of blood.
90xf more OUCH. on the clean one of the callouses rips off.
lots and lots of chalk later
90x3 (form on these was really good, so well happy with this!)

Hands in pain so gave up at this point, wanted to do more but no point. Shoulders don't feel that worked, tris even less so (mostly because most of work was one motion which is ligher on delts and tris).

Happy, but not happy lol

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
stop looking in the mirror :p

and damn, did 25 mins cardio to start off with on the cross trainer, talk about hitting. i felt like i was a small child afterwards while lifting. guessing i should stick to 20 so i can actually lift from now on :D

Soldato
Q.

Am I shooting my self in the foot with regards to fat loss, by eating a a big plate of pasta with a chicken breast for lunch? (was just tomato and onion in the sauce.)

Thought only arose as I just read in another thread, that you got to cut carbs to lose fat?

Associate
Hilarious YouTube video

Thank you for that, couldn't stop laughing!

Q.

Am I shooting my self in the foot with regards to fat loss, by eating a a big plate of pasta with a chicken breast for lunch? (was just tomato and onion in the sauce.)

Thought only arose as I just read in another thread, that you got to cut carbs to lose fat?

Specifically eating carbs no you aren't shooting yourself in the foot, carbs are essential if you're going to take exercising seriously, it's a massive misconception that you must cut carbs to lose weight..

It does however depend on how big portion was. It's all about calories, if you're in a deficit you will lose weight.

It's helpful to know roughly what your BMR is and then work your diet around that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you for that, couldn't stop laughing!

Specifically eating carbs no you aren't shooting yourself in the foot, carbs are essential if you're going to take exercising seriously, it's a massive misconception that you must cut carbs to lose weight..

It does however depend on how big portion was. It's all about calories, if you're in a deficit you will lose weight.

It's helpful to know roughly what your BMR is and then work your diet around that.

Well.... considering my clothes fit better now and the person I see in the mirror looks like he is changing physically, I would say yea, I am....

Soldato
W00t - my waist is officially the least fat it's been since... well, since I've been buying clothes for myself. 30". Still a fair bit of fat to shift though (such a little manlet) before I'm abs lean so better not buy any new jeans just yet. I have never, ever, seen my abs so it'll be a completely narcissistic thrill when I do.

Next week it'll be 12 weeks since I started. Think it'll be at least another 12 before I'm where I want to be bf% wise, but it's not been that hard so far (bar turning down all the donuts at work) so just have to be patient.

Associate
Just triples as of late, but I was wondering if I should go to sets of 5 or anything...I ended up doing an extra triple set last week as I wasn't pooped enough. But that could just indicate I should have gone heavier.

Theres no issue with deadlifting as such...It's just that my back is being a bit troublesome today, stupid thing

Nope keep the low reps. If like the other day you are feeling tired form it do as you did and add another set. If this happens consistently then think about taking the weight up a little but obviously be concious of any changes ;).

How are things going at the moment, any improvements anywhere?

Soldato
You know back in the day, I used to have strong legs, before I injured them and they wasted away. :( (Like 12 years ago)

I remeber people during football practice twice my size being astounded by how hard I could shoot.

(Think smashing hockey putt with hockey stick at full pelt)

Maybe it ws just technique....

But alas my running around days are over. Thank god for swimming!

Last edited:
Associate
I had a cut on my elbow which needed 8 stitches along the line of it three weeks ago, the stitches came out yesterday. I haven't had done any form of lifting obviously but experienced an odd tight (not really painful) sensation when trying out some press ups this morning.

Anybody have an experiences of how long I should leave it before attempting a standard routine? The nurse who removed the stitches wasn't aware but suggested when it is fully healed and a scar has formed (probably a good few weeks off this)

Semi scared to do anything other than cardio incase my elbow falls out onto the floor :')

Man of Honour
Was one of you horrible lot in the Fitness First at Holborn Circus/Chancery Lane last night? Pretty sure it was one of the guys from the muscleworks meet, but as I didn't actually train with you guys I couldn't remember who it was - and I was just getting started as you were finishing off and I didn't notice you leave until you had gone :p

Cristian or sigma are the most likely from memory. The rest of the guys - Steedie, MoNkeE, Delvis, Syla5 and LiE are all too far out to be using that gym I'd have thought and it wasn't me there. :)

Caporegime
Well.... considering my clothes fit better now and the person I see in the mirror looks like he is changing physically, I would say yea, I am....

Again, are you guessing? Note down your weight each week Monday morning :)

Nope keep the low reps. If like the other day you are feeling tired form it do as you did and add another set. If this happens consistently then think about taking the weight up a little but obviously be concious of any changes ;).

How are things going at the moment, any improvements anywhere?

Cool, that's what I did tonight, although I'm not sure the backs 100% tonight/today, stupid thing.

Yeah things aren't too bad man, the backs been okay as of late, just the odd dull ache while sitting down or resting. Got a PB on deads and squats, squats seem to be coming along quite nicely :) Working sets on my deads are a decent weight now, I think I'm just struggling now with being more explosive...Although LiE can hopefully say how non-explosive it is :p

197.5 x 6 deads
Not too bad :) bring on deload and cycle 2!

Bet you can't bench that though ;)

:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom