*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Feeling pretty tired and have doms in my quads, hamstrings and upper body.

Tomorrow im doing this:

Bench Press 5x5
Incline DB bench 3x8
DB Fly 3x12
Barbel Curls 3x10
Plank

What Im planning to do today is a 30 mins swim. But its like an upper body workout in its self. So far my scheduale has no days where I do nothing.

Sun, Tue and Thu weights and the days inbetween is 30mins swimming.

Do I need to factor in one rest day, or or am I just being lazy?

Last edited:
Soldato
Feeling pretty tired and have doms in my quads, hamstrings and upper body.

Tomorrow im doing this:

Bench Press 5x5
Incline DB bench 3x8
DB Fly 3x12
Barbel Curls 3x10
Plank

What Im planning to do today is a 30 mins swim. But its like an upper body workout in its self. So far my scheduale has no days where I do nothing.

Sun, Tue and Thu weights and the days inbetween is 30mins swimming.

Do I need to factor in one rest day, or or am I just being lazy?

I was just being lazy! I went and feel better. :p

Soldato
You could easy do a lot more, dont worry about too much only too little, plus 30mins a bit crap try to push for an hour get fat burning, you wont be exhausting your blood/liver sugars in that time

Ok noted. However at the moment, I think I am seeing results, in terms of fat loss. (Maybe its more the muscle getting tighter) but my clothes fit better now and I am tighting my belt more.

I think I am ready for 45mins in the pool, Im fit enough... but need to take it slow otherwise I'l probably burn out.

Only been going at this pace for about 2 weeks, so need to be slightly cautious.

But the good news, is i can see results. Stronger, fitter and look better.

(Knee still ****ed, but thats not something I can do anything about) So I ignore it!

Last edited:
Associate
Not really, you just don't want to warm up so much that you end up fatiguing yourself. Then once you reach a reasonable weight you just have to feel out the different attempts.

What are your 1RMs at the moment and what are some of your rep maxes?

Soldato
Not really, you just don't want to warm up so much that you end up fatiguing yourself. Then once you reach a reasonable weight you just have to feel out the different attempts.

What are your 1RMs at the moment and what are some of your rep maxes?

I've been on Wendler for a few months now, so want to re-test my maxes and then start again (with a few minor tweaks to the kg increase, so it doesnt get too hard, too fast).

When I first started, my maxes were:

Squat: 115
Deadlift: 150
OHP: 67.5x3
Bench: 100x3

So far, I've played around with Deadlift (160kg) and OHP(75kg) for maxes during the programme, but that was only after doing some of my working set, so want to do it properly.

Soldato
As Dom said don't over do the warm up sets.
I would suggest do some light stretching and some bar warm up, and maybe a lite set, then 2-3 warm up sets of 5-3-3 reps and then move on to singles and go from there.

An example with your dl I would warm up with bar, 40x8 80x5 100x3 125x3 then 135x1 150x1 160x1 and then go from there.

Just see how you get on everyone is different, You might find the 135-150 a big jump, you might find it spot in, you might find that at the end you could have jumped straight to 160 etc, but if it's your first proper rm session, use it to get used to the feeling of it all

Soldato
Anyone do any Olympic lifts in their routine? I am thinking of adding in some clean & jerks, snatches etc.. and training for more explosive power. Trouble is never done any of them before so unsure on how best to work a routine around them.

Soldato
Ok so todays session consited of this:

Bench Press 5x5
Incline bench 3x8
DB Fly 3x12
Barbel Curls 3x10
Plank

I switched the incline DB to just regular incline bench as the incline bench was free, so thought it would be easier. Thats all good isnt it?

Also at the moment, my energy is what is letting me down rather than strength. (My muscles are shaking right now)

I give everything to the Bench Press so by the time I get to the Incline Im running on an empty tank, and then DB Fly's is just painful.

Will this improve in time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom