*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I didnt think the reverse lunges and step ups where that good in my leg day routine... do you think its because, Im simply not using heeavy enough weights yet? I think I used 10kg weights.

The problem is not leg strength , but holding on to the weights is what is tough for a prolonged period of time.

Also what the trick to making progress on the leg press?

Im currently pressing 90kg for 4x12.

If I move up to 100kg, it will be too much for me. So how do I reach this target?

Associate
I can't really remember the weights exactly, this is about right.

Safety Squat:
56x5
86x5
96x5
106x5
116x5

Paused Safety Squat with Chains:
56(+chains) x 4
76(+chains) x 3
96(+chains) x 3
101(+chains) x3
111(+chains) x 3

Stiff Leg Round Back Deadlift:
60x6
100x3
140x6

Safety squats are ****ing weird. lol

Fun session though, I really like this gym and these guys at Horncastle.

Associate
160kg power stairs. Quicker than i thought actually!

You can't quite see all the steps, so here is Dan's 180 from the bottom of the steps as it shows what stupidness we were doing.

:)

And yes, the end of the handles did keep digging into the thighs!

Never heard of those but it looks like a killer! Had to laugh at the duck walk tho :D

Tonight I wasn't wanting to go heavy so I did my 15mins of HiiT some warm-up sets then I put on 140kg(six plates) to see how many times I could rep it. My goal was 12 reps but I managed 15.

Now I stuck in that to a few RM calculators and The only one I found I could only put 10 reps. These came out at 175-187kg but the one I could put 15 reps in came out at 229kg :-O Considering I pulled 190kg last week it seems a bit far off, I'm confused? Have I done something wrong?

Anyway I'm pretty happy with that as I couldn't even get 140 fully up in December and there is a video of my failing...

For HiiT, is it that you go on a threadmill, and then alternate between high and low speeds? also did you do anymore DL sets after the 15 reps?

Associate
Where about in Horncastle?

I don't know the area at all, but GBPF British Champs is being held there in September, could be a coincidence but could be the same place :).

Soldato
OP
Decided to completely ignore the physio's advice of no squats/rowing/cycling and just get back to lifting & rowing.

Given the massive amount of time off I've had I'm starting SL 5x5 from the beginning again. Already excited to start deadlifts :D

Associate
Where about in Horncastle?

I don't know the area at all, but GBPF British Champs is being held there in September, could be a coincidence but could be the same place :).

Yeah, that comp is being held at this gym, Horncastle Powerlifting Club. I head back this saturday though so will miss the comp.

Associate
Never heard of those but it looks like a killer! Had to laugh at the duck walk tho :D

For HiiT, is it that you go on a threadmill, and then alternate between high and low speeds? also did you do anymore DL sets after the 15 reps?

Yeah. After that I done 5x10 @ 80kg then some pullups finished of with hanging raises.

Soldato
Indeed, cardio after.

I did cardio after yesterdays leg session...Coulkd barley push the pedals around :p

Because he turns in to a small dying child when he does his BBB sets ;)

:D

haha, should get a ninja vid of it :p. Could always do say 3x10 of BBB and then assistance ones on top, depending on energy levels. That's what I've been doing at the moment on a few.

What do people think of this:

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf415-squat-and-dip-rack-with-spotter-catchers.php to replace my current squat rack. I need one with catchers on and it has a nice max on it too (not that I'd ever get that high :p)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hide yo' wife, hide yo' kids, I'm back!

Okay, so my heads been a bit all over since doing my cut, completely undoing all the good work, then just comfort eating all the food under the sun. I felt like Morba, but without the strength :( :p

So new plan.

As it turns out, one of the things I learnt from doing my cut is that I have gyno. Horrah.... I would've loved to have just been told I was fat, and to move about more to lose it. Mentally, being told I actually require an operation to fix it knocked me for six. Mainly 'cause I thought "what's the point in doing anything until then?" as I've yet to get a date for the op (should be private).

But I've just got back from a week in Malta. Now I admit I don't look horrendous (floppy bitch t1ts aside), but being over there seeing the locals gave me some new motivation. These guys were lean. Really lean. But I'll be honest, not one of them had a muscle to share amongst their friends! And that's when I realised even cutting back down to 75kg again will actually make me look pretty ****ing sweet.

So, weighed in at about 81kg this morning (told you I undid all my good work)! Now, surgery will mean 8 weeks off the gym, or at least any upper body work, so just cardio and legs, maybe a bit of back/traps and arm isolation. Surgery will be "soon", so I'm anticipating 8 - 10 weeks of cutting. I mean, it's not as if I can really bulk during this phase, so I may as well make the most of it right?

I'm hoping for 73 - 75kg. Bear in mind at my lightest last month, I was 73kg. I think having learnt the power of actually doing enough cardio, both in the morning and evenings, I can achieve this a HELL of a lot quicker than I did previously!

So here goes it, new motivation!

Soldato
Sorry to hear that Monkee, it normally takes a month for you to get your appointment (im coming up to my 3rd due to them either not taking enough skin away the 1st time and then all the stitches split the 2nd time around while I was sleeping!).

Saying that, my problem was and is probably different than yours (mine was being stupid and hitting 19st back in 2001 and has had a 'lasting' effect since), so nothing to worry about :p

Some variety and having a more balanced routine. I miss doing some exercises, like dips and RDLs.

I've been doing 3x10 on bench and then finishing off dips. Going to do someone the same on Deadlifts as currently doing 5x8 destroy my legs and just dont have the strength to do RDL (which I do miss as well!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom