*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Guys

Is there a best place to purchase some free weights, just looking at a bench and some other bits to go in the garage, been looking on the bay don't really have a budget in mind as yet

Many thanks Mart

eBay can be great, it can also be rubbish for weights.

What do you want exactly? Bench and weights or a squat rack or power cage....

What do you plan on doing with the kit and how much you willing to spend? :)

Associate
What do you know about Sciatic Nerve pain/damage? I have been seeing my doctor's who basically said it will take a long time to heal.

I have been suffering for many months now, Since the start of this year :( I think I noticed it over a few days after heavy deadlift's which was the start of the problem.
Anyway physio doesn't really help me much at all so I had recently a month off although I am off back to physio as soon as I make more appointments through my GP.

I just wondered if any of you have had any problems and you might be able to shed some light on it!

If it helps, The pain is right through my right glute/inner hip and down my hamstring area, My right calf and my right foot burns like it's on fire!

On top of that my leg most of the way down to my calf and foot tingle like I have pins and needles :(

Soldato
Well ordered the Bodymax CF415 to replace my current squat rack. Can't wait now, with the catchers, it should help not worry so much about getting stuck in the hole :). Did my bench 1RM today and managed to get 115kg before failing on 120kg. So a 15kg increase over my original from a few months ago, not a lot, but im still happy with the progress.

Soldato
What do you know about Sciatic Nerve pain/damage? I have been seeing my doctor's who basically said it will take a long time to heal.

I have been suffering for many months now, Since the start of this year :( I think I noticed it over a few days after heavy deadlift's which was the start of the problem.
Anyway physio doesn't really help me much at all so I had recently a month off although I am off back to physio as soon as I make more appointments through my GP.

I just wondered if any of you have had any problems and you might be able to shed some light on it!

If it helps, The pain is right through my right glute/inner hip and down my hamstring area, My right calf and my right foot burns like it's on fire!

On top of that my leg most of the way down to my calf and foot tingle like I have pins and needles :(

:eek:

Did this happen due to poor form when deadlifitng?

Soldato

Ask your doctor for an MRI ASAP!

I had the same issue and my doctor prattled about for months and didn't help me. Switched doctors, got an MRI and was booked into Surgery within 2 weeks of that.

I ended up with a crushed disc, and bone splinter in my sciatic nerve. My back still gives me a lot of trouble and it seems the damage is permanent.
I can't powerlift at all anymore and even just benching is a struggle with my back. Any form of cardio that involves impact such as jogging is out of the question and easily disables me for a few days.

The note of pins and needles is rather worrying. If you happen to lose bladder or bowl functions call an ambulance ASAP.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Well ordered the Bodymax CF415 to replace my current squat rack. Can't wait now, with the catchers, it should help not worry so much about getting stuck in the hole :). Did my bench 1RM today and managed to get 115kg before failing on 120kg. So a 15kg increase over my original from a few months ago, not a lot, but im still happy with the progress.

Good work, shame you're not videoing them, it's good to watch them back sometimes :)

Soldato

Not a lot?! 15kg in bench is massive especially if your over 100kg!! Nice work mate, get filming them lifts :)

Caporegime
Gym was a bit fubar today, felt weak as fuark.

Managed flat DB bench with the 20's today, pretty pleased with that. Incline bench was alrite, didn't manage the set I wanted, and can't remember off the top of my head what the DB's were (15's maybe)

Someone was using the dipping station so I went on to CGBP, that was abysmal, couldn't even rep the 40's this week, so dropped it and did what I could. Went on to dips, even worse :p My tri's were just fried.

After some more faffing, found a cable fly that was free so did three sets on there.

Finished off on the bike.

Going to sleep well I think, tomorrow is my rest day, Thursday is core/cardio, so hopefully doesn't take it out of me too much.

Associate
:eek:

Did this happen due to poor form when deadlifitng?

I am pretty sure my lift was fine, It went up and then down again no problems. 200KG x3 max lift and a rep max ;) I don't actually know what caused it but the day after those was when I felt the leg pain so I presumed it was that.

Ask your doctor for an MRI ASAP!

I had the same issue and my doctor prattled about for months and didn't help me. Switched doctors, got an MRI and was booked into Surgery within 2 weeks of that.

I ended up with a crushed disc, and bone splinter in my sciatic nerve. My back still gives me a lot of trouble and it seems the damage is permanent.
I can't powerlift at all anymore and even just benching is a struggle with my back. Any form of cardio that involves impact such as jogging is out of the question and easily disables me for a few days.

The note of pins and needles is rather worrying. If you happen to lose bladder or bowl functions call an ambulance ASAP.

Cheers N19h7m4r3, I didn't think mine was so bad but now that months have passed I am starting to get a little disheartened. The pain is better but still present and the numbness is very worrying to me, My doctor said they are both common symptoms with Sciatic nerve problems, Especially with what I described and what they have seem from me when examined.

How do I go about getting an MRI, Can I just request one? The doctors didn't seem overly worried at all :( One of them has had spinal surgery herself and she said it was a road she didn't want to take me down unless it was absolutely necessary!

Soldato
How do I go about getting an MRI, Can I just request one? The doctors didn't seem overly worried at all :( One of them has had spinal surgery herself and she said it was a road she didn't want to take me down unless it was absolutely necessary!

Ask your doctor, mine refused saying it wouldn't show anything. The other obliged and saw that there was a seious problem.

If your insurance doesn't cover it, it might cost you around 120. That's what mine cost me until my insurance finally stepped in.

Soldato
Originally Posted by T1Cybernetic

I have been suffering for many months now, Since the start of this year I think I noticed it over a few days after heavy deadlift's which was the start of the problem.

On top of that my leg most of the way down to my calf and foot tingle like I have pins and needles
Took me 12 weeks to heal to the point I am now training to get my strength back in my quads. I over extended on a leg press and gave myself a prolapsed disc. The sciatica was excrutiating. On top of that, because I couldn't walk properly because of the pain in my hip I pulled a muscle on three seperate occassions over the course of eight weeks. Pressure on the nerve knocked the strength in my legs down to 30%. Remedy: lots of rest on the effected part with lots of massage using tiger balm to loosen the muscle/ effected area. Heat treatment will help along with adequate pain management. Insist on a scan if there is no improvement.
Medical are generally relaxed about this kind of an injury if it isn't effecting you going to the toilet in which case it becomes an emergency.
Edit: Just noticed N19h7m4r3 rightly suggested this.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is there any value in doing incline dumbell press rather than incline barbell?

I do DB bench over BB bench purely because one of my shoulders is naff and jus can't cope with flat BB at the moment.

One could also argue that it requires more strength/supporting muscles to do DB bench (incline or flat) purely due to the nature of how the DB's will move more.

Soldato
Tenner says you've bought red pipers or whatever they're called. Made that mistake before!

opethdisciple, personally I feel I can get more pec activation in DB work rather than bar, although I do enjoy bar work more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom