*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Struggling with heavy Power Cleans too (well, 72.5kg being heavy for me). And it's entirely form driven - I can explode up and get the bar up to my shoulders easily enough, but I seem to lack the speed to drop my knees down and get below the bar in time. Any tips? I seem to remember FF essentially jumping in to a crouch when he cleaned?

Pretty much, look at some videos online for the heavier lifts...You essentually jump but drop the knees a tad...It's either than or you go all out squat and lift it that way.

EDIT:

Not the best example :D

Last edited:
Associate
What sort of level of cardio do you guys do? I'm feeling the need to introduce something into my week on one of my off days. I tend to start huffin' and a puffin quite quickly when squating and I want to improve that so I can push my legs more.

Caporegime
That video looked painful to watch :eek: That can't be good form?!

Probably not, but if you're realllllly struggling to get under the weight, practice as icecold says with a lower weight at dropping down...I'm sure ice will be able to say whether or not it's good to go down in to a squat, but that then turns in to an Olympic lift more really.

Kudos for doing what you are already doing though, I need to fit it in to my routine somehow

EDIT: I must say, the part where he drops the weight on to his legs really can't be a good feeling :D

Soldato
Benched 105x5 and 110x3 last night, first I've attempted to go near my max in a loooong time. Paying for it today though!

I've been doing a variation of pullups everyday where instead of having my back perpendicular to the floor it's somewhere between 45 and 70 degrees. I've found doing it this way my lats have exploded in size in just a few months. I think it's purely down to technique as my biceps have been taken almost completely out of the question, allowing me to get far more lat activation with a relatively small weight (compared with normal pullups).

Anybody else do this?

Soldato
Pretty much, look at some videos online for the heavier lifts...You essentually jump but drop the knees a tad...It's either than or you go all out squat and lift it that way.

Not the best example :D

If you're going to post a vid, post a couple of the best lifters of all time (jump to 0:37 for Dimas cleaning)

Soldato
Allo allo!
Long time no post lads.

It seems you're all doing really well, specially skillmister, delvis and monkee since the last time I was around here.

Seems I'm still on the powerlifting top 20 as well haha.

Sadly I'll not be adding anymore numbers to that at all.

As some of you know I had spinal surgery there in November 2011, after having been misdiagnosed and not been treated really by my original doctor.

Suffice it to say, I'm back in bed already, after only 2 weeks of being allowed to have a "normal" life what ever that is.
Was back in hospital there on Wednesday for scans and it seems I might have some permanent nerve damage in my spine. Specially relating to my sciatic nerve, causing muscle spasms in my lower back and pains in my right leg.

I've another two weeks of bed rest now, as in not allowed to leave the bed unless for the toilet or one shower a day.

Take it from me lads, perfect your form when lifting. Especially in things like picking up or putting away normal barbels or dumbbels. All it took was putting down an Olympic plate badly to cause my predicament.

Just one little click in my lower back, which was misdiagnosed and left over 5 months to worsen before the actual damage was spotted.

I'll never deadlift or squat again though, and probably never do "heavy" weights.

So best of luck to you all lads, be careful and get strong! :D

I'll be joining the ranks of the fitness/toning brigade when I ever get the chance. Maybe work on getting past 52 pushups a minute and get that magic 20 wide grip pull ups. Sadly without that extra +20kg. :p

I'm going to miss doing heavy dips, deep squats and deadlifts though. Hehe ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom