*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Need some food suggestions -

Back to work soon and now that my calorie demands have increased I am going to need food late afternoon. Otherwise I have lunch at 1pm, finish at 5.30, get to the gym and 6 and can't eat properly again until after the gym which obviously isn't ideal (I usually have a shake just before the gym after I get home which just about kept me going before the summer). It would be easy if we had a microwave in work, but we don't. I need something easily transported and that will keep be going - ideally protein/carb balanced. Any ideas?

Associate
Between lunch and training I usually have brazil nuts/raspberrys/strawberrys. Or just have a spoonful or 2 of peanut butter, or I have a Grenade Carb Killa and an Orange. I don't count calories or macros and these keep me level. Eat what you need basically!

Man of Honour
OP
Any gym bro advice's regarding tennis elbow? I have been told by physio to take few weeks off, had couple of acupuncture session but still feel pain while lifting any weight.

Your physio probably isn't an idiot: take the time off to let your tendons heal. Whilst you're at it, mobilise your thoracic spine (tom_e makes me all warm and fuzzy) - probably using a foam roller - and stretch your pecs. All whilst looking after your shoulder rotation. Simple. ;)

And stop lifting with that arm: tendinopathies have a very nasty habit of getting exponentially worse after 2-4 weeks, so don't try and work through the pain.

Useful feedback. Can you explain the bum dump bit? Thanks :)

Belt worth a try?

You don't seem to be bracing your core, ergo as soon as your hips actually have to start moving properly, your back asks them to hold its metaphorical pint because "it has got this."

Your chest caving is a similar symptom of the same issue: learn to brace your core (front and back), with chest and bum up (or whatever cues you are using) and you will be fine.

As tom_e is hinting, a belt at this point would be a very bad idea because your squatting is sub-optimal. Think of it like putting a boot spoiler on a car: stick it on a front wheel drive POS as an aftermarket mod and you will not only ruin the aerodynamics but reduce traction at the front end... Which would be dumb. And the car will look silly, anyway.

Design downforce and aerodynamics in from the start and you won't even need one.

Soldato
Admittedly no one's ever taught me to bench, but what you're calling 'normal grip' sounds really wide to me, and your 'close grip' is the only one I've ever done haha

maybe I have been benching super wide. same boat as you I've never been taught to bench and always wandered why my shoulders get so tired whilst benching.

I hope it fixes all my bench woes

Man of Honour
You don't seem to be bracing your core, ergo as soon as your hips actually have to start moving properly, your back asks them to hold its metaphorical pint because "it has got this."

Your chest caving is a similar symptom of the same issue: learn to brace your core (front and back), with chest and bum up (or whatever cues you are using) and you will be fine.

As tom_e is hinting, a belt at this point would be a very bad idea because your squatting is sub-optimal. Think of it like putting a boot spoiler on a car: stick it on a front wheel drive POS as an aftermarket mod and you will not only ruin the aerodynamics but reduce traction at the front end... Which would be dumb. And the car will look silly, anyway.

Design downforce and aerodynamics in from the start and you won't even need one.

Yup, having watched more videos about core bracing I have been going about it all wrong. Have been practicing and my core feels solid now whereas it was squishy before. Will put this into practice next week.

Soldato
maybe I have been benching super wide. same boat as you I've never been taught to bench and always wandered why my shoulders get so tired whilst benching.

I hope it fixes all my bench woes
I'd just say that the 'pinkie on the rings' approach isn't taking any notice of how wide your shoulders are.
I'm not very broad, and 5' 9, so it feels wide. Might be fine for a bigger person

Man of Honour
For me anything closer than my pinky on the ring feels "close" but then I'm a fair bit wider than most. As with most exercises it's about finding what feels best for you and works best with your biomechanics, to a point at least.

Soldato
For me anything closer than my pinky on the ring feels "close" but then I'm a fair bit wider than most. As with most exercises it's about finding what feels best for you and works best with your biomechanics, to a point at least.

That's how I was feeling but was seeing no progress and didn't feel very stable. closer grip and everything just seems right but It could be I have stronger triceps and just find it easier??

My fear is I will use this closer bench technique and see numbers increase but just end up with huge triceps and no chest.

after lots of staring at myself in the mirror last night I noticed my right arm sits further forward more naturally which I can only assume is from a break in my collar bone and its healed in a different position.

I think I shall try the closer grip for a while and see what results im seeing in the chest area. my weight hasn't increased in ages so hopefully this will change it

Soldato
So I was experiencing some pain when I was squatting, I've given it 2 weeks rest and tried a few with just the bar, pain was still there. :(
It's pain at the top of the thigh and if I stand straight and lift the knee up it hurts it, am I right in thinking that's my hip flexor then? Just more rest?

Man of Honour
OP
So I was experiencing some pain when I was squatting, I've given it 2 weeks rest and tried a few with just the bar, pain was still there. :(
It's pain at the top of the thigh and if I stand straight and lift the knee up it hurts it, am I right in thinking that's my hip flexor then? Just more rest?

Depends what it is. Go and see a physio to find out. :)

Otherwise, learn about the couch stretch.

Man of Honour

Does it hurt when you put weight on it while standing upright?

Soldato
Depends what it is. Go and see a physio to find out. :)

Otherwise, learn about the couch stretch.

I have started doing that stretch recently after a mobility test thing showed tight hip flexors.

Does it hurt when you put weight on it while standing upright?

Not sure what you mean, I have no pain standing etc.
Just as I squatted, the bit of the thigh hurt. I did the standing knee lift and it hurt the same bit.
Now, a couple of hours later, it doesn't hurt to lift my knee.

Seek proper advice as mrthingyx says. A physio should be able to help you out.

More than likely fix you relatively quickly.

yeah, probably best.
I'm just hesitate (I'm Cheap) to pay money if I just get told to rest and stretch in the same why I already planned to haha
Though might be best to go

Associate
Can anyone recommend 3-4 good exercises to strengthen the core (in addition to the compounds)? I do cardio on my rest days but I'd like to do a quick 10-15 min core workout after cardio.

Associate
yeah, probably best.
I'm just hesitate (I'm Cheap) to pay money if I just get told to rest and stretch in the same why I already planned to haha
Though might be best to go

The body being what it is, you could have an issue with a muscle group in another part of your body which is causing the tightness across the thigh. I am no expert on the body, but from my own experience the lower back is a ****** for it. One occasion it was my glutes, another its my traps and mid back!

Soldato
So, as I'm only a beginner and am resting whatever I've managed to do to myself, my bench and row have taken over more than I've ever managed in the squat haha
I don't want to end up neglecting the legs so I've been doing leg extensions and curls on the machines, anything else people could suggest?

Back
Top Bottom