*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
Late to the party I just got some voodoo stretch bands and did my shoulder and elbow. First impressions are pretty good- less pain, greater ROM. I wonder how temporary the feeling is and whether it to some extents 'wears off' - i.e. Is it just the initial sensation or is it going to require less flossing over time (assuming the root cause in the first place has been fixed)?

Man of Honour
OP
Late to the party I just got some voodoo stretch bands and did my shoulder and elbow. First impressions are pretty good- less pain, greater ROM. I wonder how temporary the feeling is and whether it to some extents 'wears off' - i.e. Is it just the initial sensation or is it going to require less flossing over time (assuming the root cause in the first place has been fixed)?

The "relief" from tack floss is temporary due to the increased blood flow to the area concerned.

You will have to think about shoulder extension and flexion work (bicep, lat and pwc stretches) as well as rotator cuff strengthening as they will be impacting your shoulder and elbow.

Associate
Thanks, you've confirmed what I suspected. And yes I have been doing regular work on shoulder mobility and strengthening since your initial suggestion, I merely did the voodoo band on top of that out of curiosity, although the relief was very welcome all the same. Also paying attention to posture and the 'resting' position of the anterior delt in relation to the pecs to try to keep them back in a neutral position - I do spend periods at work hunched over a laptop and sat in meetings so all the usual culprits.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, you've confirmed what I suspected. And yes I have been doing regular work on shoulder mobility and strengthening since your initial suggestion, I merely did the voodoo band on top of that out of curiosity, although the relief was very welcome all the same. Also paying attention to posture and the 'resting' position of the anterior delt in relation to the pecs to try to keep them back in a neutral position - I do spend periods at work hunched over a laptop and sat in meetings so all the usual culprits.

No worries - it is good to see somebody doing something about it. :)

I have the same problems and so the resolutions are quite easy for me... I have suffered from neglecting them in the past!

Soldato
The new squat rack in the gym is getting some use. 5 x 5 @105 Monday. Reiyushin's DL programme also re-started. I'm off to India on Friday which will either be great for weight gain, or be one of the greatest cutting exercises known to man depending on how adventurous I am with the food!

Man of Honour
OP
The new squat rack in the gym is getting some use. 5 x 5 @105 Monday. Reiyushin's DL programme also re-started. I'm off to India on Friday which will either be great for weight gain, or be one of the greatest cutting exercises known to man depending on how adventurous I am with the food!

Awaiting gastrointestinal shredded pictures. It WILL happen. ;) :D

Meh, New Years resolution down the toilet already, credit for you guys going, but the gym is not for me one bit!

Who says you need to go to the gym? Or was that actually your new year's resolution?

Soldato
I've had lovely DOMs over the last few days after the Christmas break but still enjoying the lifting. Still nothing worth logging in my eyes but hopefully we aren't too far away from an update.

soon.jpeg

My first goal is to survive a Tough Mudder i signed up for last year. I've done one before but i was in better shape and 3 years younger... Lol

Soldato
Been conservatively setting training maxes over the last week or so, either 1RM, 3RM or 5RM depending on what the crossfit workout is that day.

Was pretty pleased to set a new 1RM of 120KG on Front Squat today to give me a base to work with. Think I still had a little more in the tank but as I said, looking at conservative maxes for now.

Now to keep it there while BW lowers!

Soldato
My first goal is to survive a Tough Mudder i signed up for last year. I've done one before but i was in better shape and 3 years younger... Lol

You'll be fine, did my first one in the summer and actually found it a lot easier than I expected and that's when I was pushing 20 stone. Believe me when I say I'm nowhere near a "solid" 20 stone :p

Soldato
You'll be fine, did my first one in the summer and actually found it a lot easier than I expected and that's when I was pushing 20 stone. Believe me when I say I'm nowhere near a "solid" 20 stone :p

More of a 'cuddly' 20st? :p I lost 1 1/2 pounds from last Friday to today which isn't too bad considering I haven't been eating that well. It does surprise me how much food I can eat and still lose weight. I wasted my first year at the gym by eating too little as I worried about getting fat (former fatty), never really made much progress.

Associate
I have found a large disparity between my deadlift and rack pulls just recently. Probably down to my lower back. Any advice on what exercises to throw in? I was thinking some RDLs or SLDL. Carry on with rack pulls as well?

Man of Honour
OP
I have found a large disparity between my deadlift and rack pulls just recently. Probably down to my lower back. Any advice on what exercises to throw in? I was thinking some RDLs or SLDL. Carry on with rack pulls as well?

Is there a reason you are doing rack pulls (I know why they can be programmed, but I wonder what you do them for)?

But it is probably not your lower back but poor set up and pull from the floor... I.e. your glutes aren't working the way they should.

Got a video?

In general, floor work is always a help: paused deadlifting, speed work, etc... I never to rack pulls because it is too much hard work setting uo for them. :D

Back
Top Bottom