*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
In the gym yesterday doing deadlifts and one of the guys who works there said we're not allowed to take our shoes off....That puts a spanner in the works.

What a load of nonsense. Loads of people in my gym prefer to squat/deadlift without shoes. Are they thinking of safety? Do they really thing a shoe is going to save your foot? I would tell them to jog on.

Associate
There's no problem with upgrading your rack because you want to, but don't pretend for a minute it is because you need to. ;)

I have lifting in my home gym for five years with just a lifting platform and a squat rack and have - injuries aside - never struggled for variety.

To be honest being able to do extra with the cable system is tempting me
You'll probably enjoy having the pull up bar if you switch to a rack

Yep i miss not being able to do pull ups

I'm keeping an eye on ebay and gumtree locally first

Soldato
It felt a lot better this week.

When you say take the belt off... I wear it because I have a problem with my lower back (I've got an MRI on it tomorrow) so I want to do everything possible to help prevent further injury. At what point should I start wearing a belt? I'm 70kg and currently going for 3x8 at 90kg.

Not sure I agree with everyone saying you shouldn't squat with lower back pain.

I had a herniated disc a couple of years ago, which was undiagnosed for a long time. I had constant lower back pain, hip pain, leg pain. Pain killers were pointless. The only thing I found to help was exercising. Strengthening the muscles in my back almost got rid of the pain completely. I did eventually get the surgery, but I didn't feel massively different from when I did when I'd been exercising, and that including squatting.

I pulled a muscle in my lower back about 2 weeks ago now, and I'm just about ready to get back in the gym. I'm going to go today and just drop the weight a bit, and not deadlift (which is what broke me). I am concerned as I'm going on holiday next week and don't want to be in pain, but I feel like it's worse to do nothing.

Soldato

I had a herniated disc a couple of years ago, which was undiagnosed for a long time. I had constant lower back pain, hip pain, leg pain. Pain killers were pointless. The only thing I found to help was exercising. Strengthening the muscles in my back almost got rid of the pain completely. I did eventually get the surgery, but I didn't feel massively different from when I did when I'd been exercising, and that including squatting.

I pulled a muscle in my lower back about 2 weeks ago now, and I'm just about ready to get back in the gym. I'm going to go today and just drop the weight a bit, and not deadlift (which is what broke me). I am concerned as I'm going on holiday next week and don't want to be in pain, but I feel like it's worse to do nothing.

Thanks for this. I'm just trying to be smart about it. If it hurts, I don't do it. I've had almost 3 weeks with barely any back pain and I've been pushing my deadlifts but if I end up in pain I'll just skip squats and dl until it feels better.

After being told I have to wear shoes at the gym I've ordered some lifting trainers.

Soldato
Thanks for this. I'm just trying to be smart about it. If it hurts, I don't do it. I've had almost 3 weeks with barely any back pain and I've been pushing my deadlifts but if I end up in pain I'll just skip squats and dl until it feels better.

After being told I have to wear shoes at the gym I've ordered some lifting trainers.

You might be in that sweet spot where your muscles are strengthening and the back pain is reducing. I hope for your sake that's the case!

Soldato
Man of Honour

*sigh* ;)

It is easy to cite individual and personal circumstances as proof of whatever... I actually happen to agree with you in part: I find squatting and dead lifting actually alleviates my back pain. But that is my very individual back pain: I know what it is (and more specifically what it isn't).

HOWEVER...

I would never recommend anybody else do this, because I have no idea about their training or injury history, technique or whether they prefer Coke or Pepsi. It might be harmless if you take that choice individually, but a huge pile of pain and inconvenience to somebody who makes that choice on your say-so. :)

Soldato
*sigh* ;)

It is easy to cite individual and personal circumstances as proof of whatever... I actually happen to agree with you in part: I find squatting and dead lifting actually alleviates my back pain. But that is my very individual back pain: I know what it is (and more specifically what it isn't).

HOWEVER...

I would never recommend anybody else do this, because I have no idea about their training or injury history, technique or whether they prefer Coke or Pepsi. It might be harmless if you take that choice individually, but a huge pile of pain and inconvenience to somebody who makes that choice on your say-so. :)

Perhaps you can't recommend it, but you can comment on personal experience :)

Man of Honour
Perhaps you can't recommend it, but you can comment on personal experience :)

Of course, but - as above - context is everything.

ShortWarning (apologies, buddy!) was squatting with a belt to prevent further injury. This indicates his form is less than optimal and - if it isn't what caused his back pain - certainly won't be helping. The use of a belt in such circumstances suggests that - whilst he's very strong for his weight - he's not necessarily an "experienced" lifter in this regard. Also, being slated for an MRI emphasises that his doctor isn't certain what's going on, either.

I'd actually have suggested going to see a physio instead of a doctor, because medical practitioners receive very little training in how the musculoskeletal system works together.

@ShortWarning: sorry for not answering this before, but the point at which a person starts wearing a belt for any benefit is when reps/sets get so heavy/prolonged that your form starts breaking down. Now there are two sides to this:

1) it means you can maintain "form" for longer and keep the volume levels up.
2) you aren't bracing *optimally* because you're bracing against something (the belt), so - typically - this means your ultimate weight squats/deads will not have optimal form. Whether or not this matters to you is entirely a point of perspective. I've never worn a belt and have no intention of doing so because I'm not a competitive powerlifer or (sob) weightlifter.

An interesting side-effect of point 2 means that - if your form DOES go whilst squatting with a belt - there is a reasonable chance your injury will be worse because your muscles can't attenuate the shear stresses as they normally would (as you're using the belt for support).

Does any of this matter? Not really: some people choose to wear a belt because of the mechanical advantages it can provide if used properly; I don't because I know I don't train in a way that would benefit from what I perceive are the compromises.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course, but - as above - context is everything.

ShortWarning (apologies, buddy!) was squatting with a belt to prevent further injury. This indicates his form is less than optimal and - if it isn't what caused his back pain - certainly won't be helping. The use of a belt in such circumstances suggests that - whilst he's very strong for his weight - he's not necessarily an "experienced" lifter in this regard. Also, being slated for an MRI emphasises that his doctor isn't certain what's going on, either.

I'd actually have suggested going to see a physio instead of a doctor, because medical practitioners receive very little training in how the musculoskeletal system works together.

@ShortWarning: sorry for not answering this before, but the point at which a person starts wearing a belt for any benefit is when reps/sets get so heavy/prolonged that your form starts breaking down. Now there are two sides to this:

1) it means you can maintain "form" for longer and keep the volume levels up.
2) you aren't bracing *optimally* because you're bracing against something (the belt), so - typically - this means your ultimate weight squats/deads will not have optimal form. Whether or not this matters to you is entirely a point of perspective. I've never worn a belt and have no intention of doing so because I'm not a competitive powerlifer or (sob) weightlifter.

An interesting side-effect of point 2 means that - if your form DOES go whilst squatting with a belt - there is a reasonable chance your injury will be worse because your muscles can't attenuate the shear stresses as they normally would (as you're using the belt for support).

Does any of this matter? Not really: some people choose to wear a belt because of the mechanical advantages it can provide if used properly; I don't because I know I don't train in a way that would benefit from what I perceive are the compromises.

Thanks again for the in depth reply!

The only reason I started wearing a belt was because I heard it prevented injury and I figured because I've had any problems with my back it couldn't hurt (I guess I was wrong :)), I wouldn't say it's made me feel any stronger or secure or helped push my reps.

I haven't used a belt for my last 2 sessions through deadlifts and squats and I'm still managing to get more reps or extra weight on without any back pain.

As far as experience goes, I'm not really. I mean I've lifted a few times throughout my life but I've never had anyone break down my form (and I haven't myself really). I really trying to concentrate on my form now (which is why I keep bugging you guys).

Back
Top Bottom