The Acer ONE Thread

Soldato
I was all up for getting an Eee but I think the spec of this one beats it and it is cheaper too. Looks like Acer will get my cash instead of Asus after all.

Associate
I reckon waiting another couple of weeks is the best bet. There's going to be about 5 or 6 rival manufacturers launching these mini Atom powered laptops, until we know what the final specs and prices of the machines are a decision is a bit hasty (imo of course!).

Should be fantastic for the consumer though, my only concern is whether Intel have the manufacturing capacity to satisfy this upcoming surge in demand for Atom.

Soldato
I'm impressed, so it's an EEE 701 but with bigger screen and keyboard, and more storage, but at the 701 price. Need to see full specs of course, but that price is so much more appealing than spending £330 on a Wind or EEE 900, or even more on the 901. I knew these things would get cheaper, Asus have always been expensive.

Nice not to be tied into white or black too since I love a bit of colour. Looks smart in blue. Let's see if Dell can top it for value (TBH I doubt it).

Soldato
I said these looked good in the EeePC thread... at £199 for a better spec than the 701 along with much better looks they could be onto a winner (assuming the general build quality is good).

Associate
So far this seems to be leading the pack on price/performance while still maintaining the looks.

£199 is such a good price that I'll get one almost on an impulse buy!

Soldato
I reckon waiting another couple of weeks is the best bet. There's going to be about 5 or 6 rival manufacturers launching these mini Atom powered laptops, until we know what the final specs and prices of the machines are a decision is a bit hasty (imo of course!).

Should be fantastic for the consumer though, my only concern is whether Intel have the manufacturing capacity to satisfy this upcoming surge in demand for Atom.

Thanks for the information.
This is quite handy for me, I was going to buy a reasonably specced laptop for university but now I think I'll build myself a nice mATX machine and wait and see how all these ultraportables pan out.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Very much depends to me on how much the extended battery costs.

I want 4 hours minimum battery from one of these things, as well as the 1024x600 screen.

Associate
Very much depends to me on how much the extended battery costs.

I want 4 hours minimum battery from one of these things, as well as the 1024x600 screen.

You might favour the Wind. I think that has a 6 cell battery (where with the others you have to pay extra for it) and has a battery life of over 5 hours. With wifi enabled, according to a review that is about on the net you can get over 4.

I certainly seem to be leaning towards the wind. It doesn't have the annoying vertical touchpad buttons like the Acer/HP, it has a 10" screen, 6 cell battery, bluetooth, and it has the overclock function for when it's plugged into the mains. It strikes the right balance for me in terms of facilities, speed and cost, that's just me of course. Don't think I'll be ordering just yet, there are still more manufacturers to release theirs which could be ever better!

AbsenceJam said:
Thanks for the information.
This is quite handy for me, I was going to buy a reasonably specced laptop for university but now I think I'll build myself a nice mATX machine and wait and see how all these ultraportables pan out.

Probably the wisest option to be honest. Wish I had one of these when I was at uni. I might have actually taken it to the library and done some work for a change :)

Soldato
Is it me or is that a little low? I thought most screens were 16.7million colours or something like that?
Well all TN screens are 262K colours really, they just use dithering (rapidly switching between two colours to give the impression of the in-between colour) which supposedly takes them up to 16.2M. I'd be surprised if this screen really doesn't have dithering (we'll see when the final specs are out), but even if it doesn't it's not a difference you would readily notice most of the time. You might notice a bit of banding on static images but that's about it.

You're right to point it out as a spec weakness though.

Soldato
New pics, sorry for the crappy editing but they're from a site that isn't allowed so I thought I should get rid of the logo :)

acerone4pq6.jpg

acerone3ia7.jpg

acerone2bv5.jpg

acer1bigqx6.jpg

Associate
looks pretty smart when opened,

was worried about the screen, i hate the look of the EEE PC's screen with the bands of nothing at its sides. it reminds me of a 80's laptop

Back
Top Bottom