The Alienware 17 Laptop Appreciation Thread

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have the new style 15? I'm looking at it (against the new Aorusx5 v7). What is the build quality like? Is it an aluminium style body? I've looked at the "epic silver" but every photo has the garish pink neon trim. Is that standard or can the colours be changed? It's well specc'd for the money too. I'm hesitant as I've mostly heard Alienware are all fur coat no knickers since Dell bought them.

I also run 13 inch Macbook Pro's for work and whilst the Alienware's do not use aluminium the build quality is very, very good and both approaches to construction have their pros and cons. From my own experiences, I think its fair to say that if Alienware did have major design or quality issues they were resolved by the time they launched the Skylake R3 models.

If the 15 is like the 17, the 'garish pink' is just an LED light and it can be configured to be any colour or switched off. You can see this from the photo I have uploaded above from the Alienware 17 where the 'Alienware' lettering below the screen is switched off and the trim colour is neon blue with a green hint.

Associate
I've only heard the fans on full power when I set them to it to see what it was like.
Sounded like a couple of small laptop fans spinning fast, lol. Fair bit of noise from them.

Never got them near that though in gaming. They do ramp up a bit but I don't find it an issue. I can only suggest hearing it in person if you're tempted on getting one.

Soldato
OP
used the speakers for the first time on the new r4 today and wow - big improvement over the r3 in terms of quality and they also go loud !

Associate
I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 6700/1070 instead of a 6820/1080 due to running cool with no throttling and saving around £300, is there much of a real world performance difference between a 1070 and 1080 at 1440p?......Also is 256GB SSD(with 1TB HDD) enough space for games?

Associate
I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 6700/1070 instead of a 6820/1080 due to running cool with no throttling and saving around £300, is there much of a real world performance difference between a 1070 and 1080 at 1440p?......Also is 256GB SSD(with 1TB HDD) enough space for games?

Who's getting throttling on the 1080 model? Wouldn't believe everything I read online! There seem to be a few people who want to return these laptops just because they break 60C on full load :rolleyes:

Associate
Who's getting throttling on the 1080 model? Wouldn't believe everything I read online! There seem to be a few people who want to return these laptops just because they break 60C on full load :rolleyes:

lol, that's crazy, it's just reports i've read on the Alienware 17 R4 thread on notebookreview forums with people saying temps go over 90C when playing demanding games and they need to repaste CPU even on the newer 7820hk whilst the 6800/7800's seem to run cooler, any thoughts on my previous question asking for advice?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom