• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Shanks, the quality on those 1080p 60fps Prey videos are nice mate.

Thanks
Yeah Prey really does come out nice.. Am testing out some OBS now and push my bitrate up 15mb - SOMA with it being a dark game is coming out abit Pixelated at times Youtube Recommends 15mb for 60fps 1080p
OpenGL is a pain!! something Relive needs to add support for OpenGL and Vulkan

Caporegime
Tried streaming again last night and overall it seemed better without the archive option ticked, still some input lag and lower performance overall but not as bad (perhaps my CPU harming the performance), still getting some horrendous youtube compression though :(

But "overall", relive isn't bad at all, it will come in handy for showing of games to friends etc. and also sharing moments like this where I pulled of a @HazardO with @CrispyOtter on gta 5 last night :D :o

y3xdQvs.gif

Soldato
Tried streaming again last night and overall it seemed better without the archive option ticked, still some input lag and lower performance overall but not as bad (perhaps my CPU harming the performance), still getting some horrendous youtube compression though :(

But "overall", relive isn't bad at all, it will come in handy for showing of games to friends etc. and also sharing moments like this where I pulled of a @HazardO with @CrispyOtter on gta 5 last night :D :o

y3xdQvs.gif

I wounder if the output from widescreen to standard 1080p is effecting the quality? Hard to see from that image

Caporegime
I wounder if the output from widescreen to standard 1080p is effecting the quality? Hard to see from that image

Sent you the full video via trust, let me know what you think.

And yeah that is possible, unfortunately with AMD still not supporting 21.9 VSR etc. (despite it being one of the most requested features for months now....), I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case......

Soldato
Sent you the full video via trust, let me know what you think.

And yeah that is possible, unfortunately with AMD still not supporting 21.9 VSR etc. (despite it being one of the most requested features for months now....), I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case......

Will watch now, in the mean time put that request here AMD now taking new feature request my guess is for end of the year update.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6i8b62/what_features_would_you_like_to_see_in_radeon/

Soldato
Ah nice, will do that now, thanks.
Looks good to me I can see what you mean though, but I think this is just Youtubes compression what they do with the footage after you send it.
For example Recording Footage is best sent at a higher Res/Bitrate than what you would normally want.

Like a lot of Youtube guys will Record Gameplay at 1080p 60fps then re-encode that footage to 1440p at a much higher bitrate then when Youtube does its thing-y the end result is a better image
Streaming is a different ball game at 1080p 60fps Youtube recommends 15mbps something Relive doesn't offer and one reason I have now changed to OBS Studio that also has AMD GPU encoding so you can get the same performance ?? Seems like it but with more options to play with so give that a try will post my settings.

They is much more to learn here though not quite has simple as Relive.

Untitled1f250.jpg

Caporegime
Looks good to me I can see what you mean though, but I think this is just Youtubes compression what they do with the footage after you send it.
For example Recording Footage is best sent at a higher Res/Bitrate than what you would normally want.

Like a lot of Youtube guys will Record Gameplay at 1080p 60fps then re-encode that footage to 1440p at a much higher bitrate then when Youtube does its thing-y the end result is a better image
Streaming is a different ball game at 1080p 60fps Youtube recommends 15mbps something Relive doesn't offer and one reason I have now changed to OBS Studio that also has AMD GPU encoding so you can get the same performance ?? Seems like it but with more options to play with so give that a try will post my settings.

They is much more to learn here though not quite has simple as Relive.

Untitled1f250.jpg

I see what you mean and yeah just normally recording footage and then uploading or/and re-encoding is definitely much better I find, that is why I like the streaming, just hit stream button and no need to worry about all of that (especially when my CPU is old/weak for that stuff now)

Will give OBS and your settings a shot and see how it does.

Thanks.

Caporegime
@shankly1985

Once I start streaming with OBS, I get this error:

d1YLU0f.png

Log:

Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/chrome_elf.dll' not found, loading of module failed
17:26:34.112: [CoreAudio encoder]: CoreAudio AAC encoder not installed on the system or couldn't be loaded
17:26:34.114: [AMF] Version 2.1.5 loaded (Compiled: 1.4.2.0, Runtime: 1.4.2.0, Library: 1;4;2;0;17.10.2711.1021;201705171616;CL#1410780).
17:26:34.151: [AMF] <Id: 2> Unable to create H265/HEVC encoder, error AMF_ENCODER_NOT_PRESENT (code 36)
17:26:34.191: [AMF] <Id: 4> Unable to create H265/HEVC encoder, error AMF_ENCODER_NOT_PRESENT (code 36)
17:26:34.191: [AMF] [H265/HEVC] Not supported by any GPU, disabling...
17:26:34.200: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libcef.dll' not found, loading of module failed
17:26:34.201: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libEGL.dll' not found, loading of module failed
17:26:34.202: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libGLESv2.dll' not found, loading of module failed
17:26:34.202: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'obs-browser.dll'
17:26:34.202: [browser_source: 'Version: 1.29.0']
17:26:34.204: LoadLibrary failed for 'nvEncodeAPI64.dll': The specified module could not be found.
17:26:34.204: (126)
17:26:34.312: Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled
17:26:34.318: No blackmagic support

Do I need the very latest AMD drivers????

I'm on 17.5.2

EDIT:

I've only adjusted the settings you have shown.

EDIT:

Same happens with just recording too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Found out something quirky about AMD display scaling (center, keep aspect, stretched). It seems to have broken for many, including myself, since driver 17.4.2 or something like that. But what i found out by accident when making custom resolutions for my asus mx34vq monitor is that if i make for example 2560x1080 and uses CVT reduced blanking and 60hz i still get the resolution exposed to 75hz and 100hz that monitor supports on its own and using 75hz or 100hz the scaling suddenly works but for the custom resolution i made but at 60hz it does not. It also works with if i create a custom res with 30hz. Then 60hz option is exposed to the monitor along with 75hz and 100hz and the 60hz option is suddenly working correctly with display scaling. Its very odd.

Soldato
I think at equal bitrates CPU is better quality, up to a point, obviously their gets point where they're both so good you can't really tell. While you're unlikely to get to the really high bitrates when streaming if you've got the bandwidth to spare adding like 0.5Mbps or so to the GPU encoding should bring them closer.

Of course if you have the bitrate to spare I guess you could do the same with the CPU, although you'd probably want at CPU with a decent number of cores if you're using it for gaming and encoding, but now seems to be the time to get a CPU with a lot of cores...

Soldato
I think at equal bitrates CPU is better quality, up to a point, obviously their gets point where they're both so good you can't really tell. While you're unlikely to get to the really high bitrates when streaming if you've got the bandwidth to spare adding like 0.5Mbps or so to the GPU encoding should bring them closer.

Of course if you have the bitrate to spare I guess you could do the same with the CPU, although you'd probably want at CPU with a decent number of cores if you're using it for gaming and encoding, but now seems to be the time to get a CPU with a lot of cores...

Not just the bitrate either, the CPU will give better image quality am not denying that. But for the same IQ I get with GPU I need to use a much higher cpu preset and this results in less performance reason I said you need a streaming PC to get the best from CPU streaming.
Take look this sample, dark scenes also show up bad when compression/bitrate is low

Soldato
@shankly1985

Once I start streaming with OBS, I get this error:

d1YLU0f.png

Log:

Do I need the very latest AMD drivers????

I'm on 17.5.2

EDIT:

I've only adjusted the settings you have shown.

EDIT:

Same happens with just recording too.

I know why you getting this now it means you trying to use an output higher than your 290 can handle. Max is 1080p 60fps for R9 290

Back
Top Bottom