• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
OP
It's 18 months away imo. We'll get refreshed Vega in-between.

Going by the AMD released timescale, Navi is 2018 release, let me find the post...

Capsaicin-_Presented-by-_AMD-_Radeon_FINAL-page-012.jpg

Soldato
OP
Any rumours heard that Navi will be multi chip using infinity fabric like Threadripper?

My mate says it's an option he read somewhere, but I'm 99% sure it was the beer talking and he's full of it. I can't find anything online to say it is, or isn't.

Soldato
OP
Navi will be made on the 7nm process, but other than that we don't know much. So let's start thinking about what AMD could deliver to change things up and actually fight NVIDIA in the GPU arena. Navi could feature modular Navi GPU dies that would be similar to the way AMD made Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper, where Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is really an EPYC server CPU with dies disabled.

A modular Navi or not? If they can do it with threadripper why couldn't they do it with Navi? Probably a bit TOO far ahead of its time but I think GPU's will possibly go this way. Multi GPU but acting as one GPU.

Soldato
OP
Navi has always been discussed as a midrange replacement, so that's RX580, RX590 and both RX Vegas replaced. And by extension, no, Radeon VII isn't be replaced just yet, but I think it will be by the end of the year or Q1 2020.

Based on nothing more than pixie dust and wild speculation on my part, I think the leaked RX 3080 specs are for a cut-down Navi 10 die, which means a full-fat Navi 10 die could be waiting in the wings. If cut-down Navi 10 is rumoured to be Vega 64 + 15% performance then a full-fat Navi 10 could be Vega 64 + 25% performance or higher: that's Radeon VII territory. The only thing stopping AMD from releasing it sooner is the 16GB VRAM precedent they set with Radeon VII - how to you get 16GB GDDR6 onto the PCB? Because you know if they drop down to 8GB then there will be a *********.

IMO the VII is just a stop gap so that AMD had something to release. That's why they aren't ramping up production and few, if any, AIB partners are making custom VII cards. VII seems to me anyway, to be failed Instinct cards that were converted to GPU to sell, rather than lost the chip entirely.

Soldato
OP
Anyway, back to Navi chat in the thread.

Anyone foreseeing a liquid cooled version? Or will the 7nm Navi be cool enough to be on air again?

Will Navi be HMB or GDDR6? Any leaks on that? GDDR6 will be cheaper to use and could drop the price down more at launch than if it used HBM2

When Navi drops I'll probably do my 5 year upgrade. Ryzen 8 core 3600 (perhaps) and a mid range Navi, or just keep my vega56 instead.

Soldato
OP
I think a few people should have a look at this video:

Not only is it interesting but it might help explain their position in the market and why they do what they do. Navi might be a failure for us but I bet it hits the spot for it's intended audience. Much like Mi50/60

Do keep up squire :D a dozen or so posts above yours :p

J/K... It's actually a decent video from him. Takes a while to get used to his monotone voice though. Been following him for a while now, very like Jim at @adoredtv where he's good at analysing tech.

Back
Top Bottom