1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by subbytna, Aug 20, 2017.

1. MyBrains

Wise Guy

Im gona guess these Navi cards wont be as good as Vega for mining right?

Just that a friend mentioned Bitcoin prices hit 10k recently so curious about any price rises on GPU's again due to this?

2. Zernath

Gangster

If they rise any higher, even miners will have to think twice about buying them.

3. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

That was because they were in huge demand and you couldn't get hold of one for love nor money hence the price. I ended up finding one on fleabay and it was shipped over from San Francisco!

People still buy Nvidia anyway so they probably figure they might just as well charge top dollar for the few that do sell. No point in deliberately cutting your own profits.

4. AthlonXP1800

Mobster

5. Panos

Sgarrista

6. Grim5

Hitman

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  7. Participant

Caporegime

Oh dear, fail lol.

8. SeanDrake

Gangster

Good lord if that’s real it’s pretty grim. At least now we know why amd are not worried about the super cards, Nvidia did not think they would need a 2060 super so it will not effect Navi.

But seriously if this is another case of amd over promising and under delivering can they just shut down the gfx division it would be better for the consumer if Nvidia had an actual monopoly rather than a virtual one at least then legislation might kick in to rein them in.

9. Jimmy Weirdarms

Gangster

Really hope the mining craze doesn't kick into high gear again...

Graphics cards, however good, are no good for mining Bitcoin any more. What you're looking out for is the price of the altcoins, particularly ethereum. That's currently at about 25% of its peak price. If full on craziness kicks in again and the alts start to rocket in value again, that's when it'll start to be felt in the graphics card market.

Right now a Vega 64 can make you about $0.5 a day, and a 2080Ti can make you about $1.50, on domestic electricity prices, depending on what currency you choose to mine, so they would take several years to repay the card cost. But if the upswing carries on we might see a return to the bad old days.

10. LePhuronn

Mobster

Thanks for the chuckle, much needed on a Monday.

Shut down the graphics division because they struggle to compete at the top end of the ridiculous niche market that is PC gaming? lol OK. So bin off the console market, bin off the semi-custom business, bin off mobile, bin off data centre compute, bin off the deal with Samsung, bin off Stadia and cloud gaming, all because AMD can't beat the 2080 Ti and decided to fleece the market that the consumers created?

Yeah, I chuckled.

11. Satchfanuk

Gangster

Made me laugh too. That chart added 64% to the 2060 for being more popular than a card that isn't even out yet :D

12. humbug

Caporegime

So what's going on with Navi then?

13. Satchfanuk

Gangster

Nothing, it isn't out yet but that doesn't stop people taking issue with userbenchmark 'results' which compare incomplete metrics. If that link is even remotely accurate however, the 5700 was always meant to compete with the 2060 and that is what the link shows. Don't know why some people are getting their panties in a bunch :p

14. humbug

Caporegime

A lot of that happening in the Ryzen 3000 thread, for weeks now.

Looks like Ryzen 3000 is looking a lot more like a compiling product than Navi.

15. Satchfanuk

Gangster

The thing is, every product (excluding a few stinkers I can think of) is compelling to someone, just because it isn't necessarily us doesn't make it a failure.

Navi will find its way into various pre-build PCs and consumers who don't update every time Nvidia sneeze will be interested too. I'm talking about people like my old man, who has a 560ti.

There are lots of PCs out there with multiple generations old graphics who maybe in the market for a new PC or an update who will consider Navi.

The PC elite (which I consider to be people in forums like this) will always look at the top end and compare everything to that. If a product doesn't match up, then its written off as a fail, plain and simple.

The PC reality is, that we are a miniscule percentage of PC owners and very rarely represent the hardware needs of the majority.

16. Gibbo

Commissario

17. humbug

Caporegime

I think it depends on price, if its similar to RTX card's in performance and price its not compelling.

You see right now with their CPU's the 3600/X looks similar in performance to the 9700K at £200/£250, the 3700X/3800X similar to the 9900K at £330 / £400.

And then high IPC 12 core 24 thread for £500, 16 core 32 thread for £750, those are a lot cheaper than SkyLake-X and significantly higher performance, core for core.

That's compelling.

18. JediFragger

Capodecina

Agreed, the Sapphire Vega56 Pulse is a fantastic little card :cool:

19. subbytna

Sgarrista

*Facepalm*

20. LePhuronn

Mobster

I could hear the smack from here