• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
I actually don't think most, or any for that matter, of the press is paid off. I just find most of them completely incompetent or superficial in their testing.

But mostly somehow advantageous to Nvidia...

Or like putting NV cards in front of the camera when you sum up a review of an AMD card, or claiming AMD cards are expensive despite being $100 cheaper than the direct NV competitor...

Caporegime
Then why did AMD called the 5700xt the RX690 in it's marketing material just before E3?
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/radeon-rx-5700-xt-690-graphics-card-e3

God knows. Perhaps that was the AE they were going to refer as the 690 and the 5700XT none AE as the 680.

But the 590 to the 580 isn't the same as the 5700XT to the 5700.

Mid range has pretty much always been two. I mean you can go through the generations for like the last 10 years.
They're all physically different two models.

370, 370x
270, 270x
7870, 7850
6870, 6850
5770, 5750

Occasionally you do get odd products popping up here and there during the product cycle (The 590 is an example of this).

We had a 5830 come out.
AMD did a 4890 then a pipe cleaner product with the 4770.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5700 replaced the rx580
The 5700xt replaced the RX590
The xxxx will replace the rx570

Errr NO. The "replacement" is twice as fast with double the price. That is not what we call replacement.
5700s are replacements for the Vega cards. Faster and at lower price points on release. (V64 MSRP was $499 and V56 $399). (some might argue it replaces the RVII at $699 :D )
There are going to be 5600 series Navi that will directly replace the Polaris chips at their price points ($170 & $250) with performance bumps.

Caporegime
Errr NO. The "replacement" is twice as fast with double the price. That is not what we call replacement.
5700s are replacements for the Vega cards. Faster and at lower price points on release. (V64 MSRP was $499 and V56 $399). (some might argue it replaces the RVII at $699 :D )
There are going to be 5600 series Navi that will directly replace the Polaris chips at their price points ($170 & $250) with performance bumps.

The 5700 are not Vega replacements.
They're Polaris replacements at a higher price point.

5700XT and 5700 are mid range parts.

AMD has just followed suit and priced them higher like Nvidia (Except having no actual designated flagship any more)

Associate

The 5700 XT is also pretty close to the Radeon VII in gaming, whilst being significantly cheaper, which doesn't strike me as something an RX 580 replacement would be doing!

Caporegime
The 5700 XT is also pretty close to the Radeon VII in gaming, whilst being significantly cheaper, which doesn't strike me as something an RX 580 replacement would be doing!

You've obviously not been into PC's much then.
There's loads of examples of the new generation mid range on a die shrink performing as well as previous flagship.

If we started following the logic you're suggesting we'd be paying more and more every generation

Associate
You've obviously not been into PC's much then.
There's loads of examples of the new generation mid range on a die shrink performing as well as previous flagship.

If we started following the logic you're suggesting we'd be paying more and more every generation

Rude! I've been into computers since the mid to late 1990's, but thanks for proving that once again you can't enter a discussion without coming off as puffed up and overbearing!

You know what, why am I even engaging with you? Ignore lists exist for a reason! :D

Caporegime
Rude! I've been into computers since the mid to late 1990's, but thanks for proving that once again you can't enter a discussion without coming off as puffed up and overbearing!

You know what, why am I even engaging with you? Ignore lists exist for a reason! :D

Feel free to stick me on the ignore list, you're right they exist for a reason.

Last edited:
Soldato

They replace the vega line up, the amd roadmap always stated that.
The 5600 5500 etc will replace the 5xx series with just under old vega performance.
Then sooner than we realise will be the 5800 and xt and next year the 5900/xt and 5950/xt

Associate
I think the gaming performance of the 5700 compared to the 590 is too great to consider it a replacement for the rx590. A lower tier card using less power that is around 20-25% better will come out soon to replace the polaris series cards.

Soldato
They've already replaced the card he's specifically mentioned.
It's just at a higher tier price point.

A lower tier product isn't a 580 replacement.

There's no need for pedantry, what 'tier' a card happens to be in, or what replaced what really doesn't matter, he never mentioned 'tiers' at all. I think he's after a cheaper Navi card which I think is on the way, as others have mentioned the 5600...

To my mind, the 5700 and XT have replaced Vega 56/64, but it really doesn't matter. The VII is a card on it's own, the 5600 will replace 590/580 but again, it doesn't matter.

PS You're not telling us anything we don't know, or informing the questioner by banging on about cards being more expensive, and price points being moved up.

Back
Top Bottom