• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
Why can't AMD compete with Nvidia in the GPU's the way they're holding their own vs Intel ?

I want to see AMD bring out a RTX2080 competitor and then maybe we can start seeing sensible GPU prices again

bru

bru

Soldato
To be honest even though the reference card is a blower style card I think it looks good with the little indent along the top edge.

Associate
I grabbed a GTX980ti around July 2016 for £350. Couldn't justify the GTX1080 price. Then GTX1080ti came out at like £600, I was tempted but thought id wait til RTX2080ti arrived and either get that or get a GTX1080ti that would have reduced in price once the RTX2080ti came out....

Well that plan completely fell apart. Now its either cough up £600 for the same performance i could have got for £600 2 years ago. Or cough up double for a proper upgrade. And AMD is also pretty much offering similar performance for the same money as 2 years ago.

The gpu market has died a death in last 2 years. I use to upgrade every year for about 15 years in a run, even sidegraded before just to try something new. Now had same card for nearly 3 years and probably gonna have it another year unless some miracle happens.

Anyways, this whiners going to bed. You've all been beautiful! x

Last edited:
Soldato
Why can't AMD compete with Nvidia in the GPU's the way they're holding their own vs Intel ?

I want to see AMD bring out a RTX2080 competitor and then maybe we can start seeing sensible GPU prices again

The GPU dies are a lot bigger. The large chips aren't that easy to produce.

With the infinity fabric and chiplet design they have a massive leg up on Intel.

Soldato
The 5700xt is a 225w part, beats the 2070 but that's a 175w part (AMD's 7nm has 30% higher TDP in it's tier)

Even if Navi has room to scale - what happens to the power draw.

What I want to see is if anyone can try and extrapolate out Navi vs Radeon 7 on a per watt basis. Let's see what Navi would do if you gave it 300w and more cores - because I'm not entirely convinced AMD could beat the Radeon 7 with Navi right now even if it wanted to

Associate
Tbh I'd keep the 980Ti and just drop the detail, still a v capable card.

The Vega56 is barely any faster and it does fine at 1440p/75hz with a few non-essential details dropped (can barely ****ing tell anyhow!)

I adjusted it, it was actually July 2016. And you are correct Sir. Its been a solid card, play 1440p and really everything plays fine still. Just had the upgrade itch a fair while.

Soldato
The 5700xt is a 225w part, beats the 2070 but that's a 175w part (AMD's 7nm has 30% higher TDP in it's tier)

Even if Navi has room to scale - what happens to the power draw.

What I want to see is if anyone can try and extrapolate out Navi vs Radeon 7 on a per watt basis. Let's see what Navi would do if you gave it 300w and more cores - because I'm not entirely convinced AMD could beat the Radeon 7 with Navi right now even if it wanted to

Not only that, but the RTX 2070 is likely a much larger die (although some of that is RTX nonsense) and still uses far less power.

The Radeon VII is only 331mm^2 whilst the RTX 2070 is 445mm^2.

What happens to power draw if AMD make a 500mm^2 die?

Nvidia since Maxwell have somehow got power draw under control and reap the rewards of die shrinks. Maxwell to Pascal was brilliant with massive clock speed increases, and we should see the same for Turing and it's successor.

Back
Top Bottom