• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Soldato
Today has been a sodding disaster. :(

I've spent it furiously swapping out parts but I just cannot get the system stable. I don't think it's the R290 or the drivers. I also suspected RAM but it's passed Memtest with no problems at all. Yet Windows won't stay stable for more than ten minutes tops.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah cool, thanks! This is the very first time I've ever had 2 cards so this is all very new to me. First time I've had a gaming PC since about 2001 too :p

Any idea why my GPU usage spikes so much while playing BF4?

Spec:

4770K @ 4.4GHz
16GB 1333MHz C9 RAM (This is getting swapped out for 2400MHz C10 on Monday)
2 x Sapphire R9 290s @ stock

dYUOcK9.png

Could it just be you need to increase the power limit %?
On my 7950s I had to increase it to +20 to get rid of (most of) the spikes.

Soldato
Just re-ran Memtest and i've gotten around 1000 errors in the first two minutes of the test. Safe to say I have dud RAM?

Do you rely on SPD or do you set up RAM manually in BIOS? Also, re-check your OC? Maybe it's just starting to need more volts, it can happen over time.

Soldato
Could it just be you need to increase the power limit %?
On my 7950s I had to increase it to +20 to get rid of (most of) the spikes.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try today :)

EDIT: Unfortunately it hasn't helped :( Does anyone else's MSI AB look like this with Crossfire enabled?

rJzjGnG.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Update on my xfire OCing, 2600K @4.7 2x290 @1200/1500

PbYKmXG.png

I think I may have plenty left in the core but mem won't go higher. I am using the Asus 290 pro BIOS posted on TPU archive. How can you clock past the 1235 limit in AB?

Soldato
Just re-ran Memtest and i've gotten around 1000 errors in the first two minutes of the test. Safe to say I have dud RAM?

Ignore my previous post...

MemtestCL has a bug that causes all these errors. I am currently looking for an updated version, only found the source code so far.

Soldato
Noob question but I'm new to decent graphics cards. Am I right in assuming the Asus Radeon R9 290 "Voltage Unlocked" can be easily overclocked to perform like a 290X and if so, does it void the warranty?

Soldato
Has anyone here actually got an OC higher than 1235 using GPU Tweak?
The problem is when using the max voltage on GPU tweak (1.412mV), the vrm1 temp becomes so ridiculously high and is more than most air cooler could handle I think (unless be got a bigger heatsink on the vram and with fan blowing at very close proximity. Probably only people who've put it under water (or may be those hybid cooler so the fan won't be blowing the heat into the vrm) would have better chance of that. Also once you passed the 1200MHz, it's very easy to get artifact even if driver is not crashing...

Last edited:
Soldato
Prime95 Small FFT is stable. Blend is not and fails quickly. Windows Memtest gives thousands of errors.

Swapping out either stick of RAM makes no difference, nor the slot.

Given it's unlikely to lose two sticks of RAM at once I'm starting to suspect my 3570K might have a faulty IMC. Wonderful. :(

Soldato
Memtest86+ hasn't been updated for a long time and seems to have problems with newer processors and chipsets. Instead try Memtest86 from Passmark. There's also a beta UEFI version there if you want to try it.

Soldato
I've been using 5.01 which according to the site was updated in September?

Either way it fails Prime and is terribly unstable so there's obviously a considerable problem there. But I don't have any spare RAM or a CPU so I have to wait to rope in a friend with a Sandy Bridge setup.

Back
Top Bottom