• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Update: RX Vega 64 will be available to buy/pre-order on 14 August and Vega 56/AIB cards in September. Will update this post when more information becomes available.

Here is our customary OcUK pyramid confirming stock has landed at OcUK :D

JyNY01r.jpg

Official Final Specs

qvf5sVh.jpg

Rumoured names & prices

Radeon RX Vega 64 Air: $499
Radeon RX Vega 64 Air Limited Edition: $549
Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid: $599
Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid Limited Edition: $649/$699
Radeon RX Vega 56: $399

Benchmarks from AMD (note this is the liquid edition numbers)

R3ujytY.png

RX Vega Videos

RX Vega Articles

TechPowerUp - AMD Radeon RX Vega Preview
TechPowerUp - AMD Vega Microarchitecture Technical Overview
TheTechReport - AMD's Radeon RX Vega 64 and RX Vega 56 graphics cards revealed
PCPer - AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 and Vega 56 Specs, Prices, Power Detailed

Radeon RX VEGA 64 Liquid

2JYSxOA.jpg

Radeon VEGA Frontier Edition

uMjJacL.png

Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB Air Cooled Reviews

PCPer Review
Gamer Nexus Review

VEGA Architecture Slides:

wL5GhXj.png

8OEWgdL.jpg.png

pkD2xvL.png

qcyTGfK.png

YOVJ4eb.png

qxXuUTd.png

48x2HOl.png

V0YE7qQ.png

7dM6GcK.png

JrRtMkr.png

nV3eKMY.png

48uTeUW.png

AB8MCMy.png

RR31vFY.png

4WMTdKV.png

hIZRXPf.png

xAzRPRt.png

ppZys6Y.png

Edun9d6.png

rEwRsmB.png

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
pics are too big for the forum (1280 max) ban plz.
I thought the new forum software fixed that and we did not have to worry about image sizes no more. I could be wrong though.

I'd think they will have a nice list of cards, minimum two, with rough reference specifications, and ballpark pricing, a bit like Nvidia did with FE cards.
Yeah, I expect minimum two also, but hopefully more.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
TNA gone into hiding? :)

Makes me happy I went NVIDIA.
LOL. You cracked me up :D

I just finished catching up with all the news. Very disappointing indeed from AMD. The least I was expecting was for them to mention all the different cards and their price points. Maybe some of their usual AMD graphs where it shows it beating the competition in best case scenarios. But they could not do this as the card is still far away...

That video of the guy just playing Prey, what the hell was that about exactly? It proved nothing and was cringeworthy to watch as it was so pointless. Don't understand why AMD marketing is so bad. They would have been better of showing nothing than showing that in my opinion.

Edit: Will update the OP with the release date and link to the presentation when I can later on.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
It something AMD do time and time again. They let everyone get all hyped up (intentional or not) and then disappoint everyone when they hand out a few crumbs of nothing. They should have said there would be nothing on Vega at Computex (even if they did these few small demos) and let everyone know the date for the actual launch event. There's no quicker way to lose customers than to hype them up and then disappoint them with nothing. It's like they've never heard the number one rule of "manage your customers' expectations". I wonder how many customers AMD has pushed to purchase a Nvidia card from this one event failing to deliver. People who have had enough of waiting for the promised reveal (implied or not) and simply go buy elsewhere so they don't have to keep waiting on a "maybe product".

Yeah and a G-Sync monitor to go with it, meaning there is a good chance AMD can kiss goodbye any graphics cards sales for Vega, Navi and likely beyond.

They should not even mentioned Vega at all for computex as they said nothing. They actually made it worse with what they showed with Prey. They just let a bunch of people down and annoyed them.

Lol I did say that chances are nothing would be revealed :D And again, even if something was shown, it would be useless info. like every PR event.

Oh well, I am in no rush, **** all games and hardly any gaming time now so I can wait even longer :)

Same here, as I said before, I have played all the big titles I want for this year and last year after owning a 1080 and 1070 before that so my Nano is more than good enough for the things I am playing now. My next card will likely come sometime in 2018 once some of the big games I am waiting for get released. It may even end up being a Volta card if the power is needed and AMD do not have anything again.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
I haven't been able to see the stream, but how possible are the following propositions?

1. Vega was shown dual only to show off EPYC's pcie lanes rather than an accurate reflection of Vega?
2. The tearing was actually a difference between camera and monitor --> then gets put to stream?
3. They still, considering we know Vega is 2 months away, want to keep performance hidden from the competition. Think about it, if you had a good or bad product, and told nvidia 2 months out, you'd want to hide what you have either way right?

Just some possibilities for people to discuss.

Be that as it may, they could have handled that presentation much much better as far as Vega is concerned. I did not have a problem with the CPU side of things, that seemed okay.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
OP updated. If it is missing anything, post it here and I will copy and paste it in.

@ TNA You should have reserved 5 or 6 posts at the beginning of the thread.
Yeah, forgot about this. I do not really make threads like this, that is Kaaps speciality. Plus to be honest I thought this thread would only last a few weeks until the cards are released which would have their own individual threads. Did not think we would be waiting until Augest for RX Vega to launch.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
@Kaapstad - Will you be buying the VEGA Frontier Edition? :D

It essentially looks like a Titan to me. More VRAM (which you really wanted) and you get your hands on it months before anyone else here :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
I could be that they are still building up stock for RX VEGA range of cards (due to shortage of HBM2) while selling a bunch of VEGA Frontier Edition's to those who cannot wait so they make much larger profit margins like Nvidia do with their Titan's. But then come to think about it if this is the case, they could have marketed it soooo much better.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
it is more like a firepro/quadro compared to a Titan. It comes with pro drivers.
Ah I see. I suppose if someone even did buy one then they would have to wait for RX Vega drivers to make full use of it potentially.

Must be a gaming card.
The way Raja made it sound like it will also be a gaming card from what I recall, but I could be wrong. But may not ship with gaming optimised drivers, just the firepro drivers maybe? We will see soon I suppose.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
You're more than welcome to my castoff's in 10-11 months man.
I was more than happy with Gregter's 1080 cast off. The card was in like pristine condition. I thought my cases dust filters were good, but his are on another level. Either that or he polished it before sending it to me :p

Either way, great buy that was. Would not hesitate to deal with him again. Top man :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Granted 90% of the content was all rubbish but just goes to show, the hype is real and AMDs marketing works in the sense that it gets people talking about their products, good or bad ;) :D :p
Reminds me of Trump where years ago I remember him saying there is no such thing as bad publicity. That really turned out to be true for him didn't it. lol :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
It can only be the drivers holding the release of RX Vega, Raja pretty much said the same thing in the Reddit AMA:

ATDNvly.jpg

For all those who are disappointed just read the above and let it sink in before replying. Sure Raja could probably release Vega tomorrow if he wished but it would get reviewed and then panned which could potentially damage AMD's reputation irrecoverably, surely they should release it when it's ready and if that means an extra two months of driver optimisation to squeeze every ounce of performance from the card then so be it.
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. It is likely both HBM2 availability and drivers which is pushing the card launch back. Hopefully the driver team will make use of the extra couple of months to squeeze more out of Vega so when the cards are reviewed they are shown in the best light possible.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
It could be down to the drivers too but I think realistically it is more so the stock, the fury x got panned due to shortage issues and the high price due to low supply, it was beyond a joke, ocuk had less than 10 cards in stock on launch day, it would be stupid to launch vega again with similar issues.
You are blaming AMD for this? Kaapstad is to blame if you ask me, he took around 30% of their stock by ordering 4! :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Lots of issues with bios and ram compatibility.

It was ok at stock, but overclocking has been a nightmare until relatively recently.

Bios still needs plenty work.
This is one of the reasons why I am being patient and waiting for 7nm Zen2. By then they will have ironed out a lot of things and for sure they will offer better IPC than what I got :D

Zen 2 Ryzen + Navi will be PC Gaming Heaven for me in 2019 :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
If they wanted to demo Threadripper IO capabilities why not run with 4 of them :confused:. Like they did in blender (IIRC).
Something smells fishy. Soon we will see.

Ok, now I am worried.....

Waited this long and not doing much gaming atm so I can wait a bit longer but with the above, it really isn't looking good now..... Think my days of any "serious" PC gaming are over, hopefully the scorpio will be amazing or/and there is an upcoming epic bundle deal on the ps 4 pro.
Trouble is, consoles are just not the same gaming experience. I see them as an addition to PC gaming, like say a Nintendo Switch.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Yeah won't be as good but tbh, I am more of a casual gamer these days anyway :o and if AMD can't compete at all, I don't fancy staying in a gaming sector that is dominated by 1 brand... Got better things to spend my money on!
Yeah, I understand how you feel.

The one good thing would be, you can just buy a OLED TV now and game on that and not worry about a monitor which will only be left for browsing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Yep or early August.
Definitely August, no one here will have a RX Vega in their machine before August is my guess, well, maybe Kaapstad :p

7nm and Navi will be right around the corner

Navi... Yes, that is what I am waiting for :D

That is not to say I won't have a Vega/Volta in my machine before that though, all depends if the games I want to play next year come out before Navi :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
I will leave that with TNA. :)

Did anyone found out what was the fps for that Pray demo? It was ~120 or close to 200? :)
Hah! lol. I will start the Navi thread next if anything. But maybe even that is a bad idea, one guy got upset that I started a new thread for us (like the mods suggested we should). At least I am making the effort in keeping the OP updated, unlike the old thread ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
To be honest we were expecting some real news so thought a nice new thread without all the rubbish would be good. Lesson learnt, never presume anything with AMD :)

That is right, never presume anything with AMD, RX Vega could easily end up coming out and beating the 1080Ti! :p

But in all seriousness, it was a poor show, they should have just said no Vega news at Computex so people do not bother getting hopes up and then feeling let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom