• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Siggraph is the day I decide on what I get.

AMD or NVIDIA.

Already got my Vega replacement kit ready to order. :p
ZOm2V6LhSnGdrxFDoNy60g.png

FE is a placeholder Vega ;)
wAYRI6SrSeas8bgyPYnQgg.png

I'm changing jobs so don't need a Threadripper or Skylake X anymore for production work, so decided shove that into a fancier monitor for gaming and other projects.
I am a huge fan of that ROG PG348Q and wouldn't swap mine out. That LG will be sweet as well, so I don't envy your choice :)

AMD or NVIDIA.

I'm changing jobs so don't need a Threadripper or Skylake X anymore for production work, so decided shove that into a fancier monitor for gaming and other projects.

The Asus buries the LG for gaming, but the LG excels everywhere else. I'm using my PG348Q atm ;) So sooooooo good for gaming :cool:

edit - Also consider the Acer Z35P, looks stellar! @tyler_jrb has recently got one

If you get a chance friends house or something do check out the crimson drivers they have come on along way since you used AMD drivers.

i remember firing up the CCC on my friend's pc in 2007 -- that kind of took an hour to load
do they still behave the same.. and rely on .NET framework

also few other questions:
  • i tend to strip my win 7 64 bit copy to barebones - got that habit from a veteran gamer who helped with my first pc build..so
  • are there some windows processes that are necessary for a fully functional build
  • once we set-up the nvidia control panel all nvidia processes can be disabled while retaining all settings, is it same for amd?
  • and what are the bare minimum modules in the radeon software package needed for the card

Never said the contrary, just going off the things Raja said back then, whether it will be pro or gaming market is somewhat irrelevant, the architecture will be coming quickly imo.

I was tentatively agreeing in that development for 7nm seems to be accelerating.

As an Nvidia user for the last 6 years this is how the drivers from both camps have been presented too me.

Nvidia always seem to have features before AMD do. For example Fastsync and Shadowplay.

Nvidia drivers (this is probably just my biased green perspective) just seem more polished. Higher quality code. (Again impossible to quantify most likely not true)

But what AMD have that Nvidia don't, is ever 6-9 months you get a big breakthrough drivers. Loads of new features, big performance improvements etc....

We hardly ever get anything like that in team green.

Is that just because Nvidia have less optimisation to do as they are already very optimised?

It's because Nvidia are off to their next product. It's in their interest if their old cards don't improve and you have to buy a new one to get increases in performance. There have even been occasions when older cards have become gimped, or Nvidia have encouraged features that hurt everything in their range but their high end card in order to make AMD look bad.

I am a huge fan of that ROG PG348Q and wouldn't swap mine out. That LG will be sweet as well, so I don't envy your choice :)

The Asus buries the LG for gaming, but the LG excels everywhere else. I'm using my PG348Q atm ;) So sooooooo good for gaming :cool:

edit - Also consider the Acer Z35P, looks stellar! @tyler_jrb has recently got one

What's the backlight bleeding issues like on the ROG? I saw nightmare inducing stuff on the batches from the first few months.

As for Acer, I tend you avoid them after they got their 15 dead pixel policy. Anything under 15 dead pixels is considered fine. Thankfully I ordered from Rainforest at the time and they got me a refund on the monitor I had at the time.

By the looks of it both AMD and nVidia are commencing with 7nm product tape outs - doesn't mean they are necessarily gaming GPU products though.

Don't think "Einstein" will be coming that quickly though as there are some really complex bits to the design. Navi is probably going to be a more iterative approach towards the same kind of ends so first generation of it might appear sooner.

I mean I suppose the only real problem with Vega is perf/w. The fundamental API support, features like tiled based rendering, and compute performance are all there.

So if Navi was basically Vega with fixed perf/w, say a 3.5x of the current perf/w including the 7nm node improvements (which itself is supposed to give 2.5x perf/w), then that'd probably be fine.

As an Nvidia user for the last 6 years this is how the drivers from both camps have been presented too me.

Nvidia always seem to have features before AMD do. For example Fastsync and Shadowplay.

Nvidia drivers (this is probably just my biased green perspective) just seem more polished. Higher quality code. (Again impossible to quantify most likely not true)

But what AMD have that Nvidia don't, is ever 6-9 months you get a big breakthrough drivers. Loads of new features, big performance improvements etc....

We hardly ever get anything like that in team green.

Is that just because Nvidia have less optimisation to do as they are already very optimised?

I have used both over the last few years(HD7850/GTX660/GTX960/RX470/GTX1080] - the latest updates to the UI have made the interface of the AMD driver program far more polished than it used to look,and if anything the Nvidia UI looks more dated now. But OTH,it still seems to do the job so it does not bother me.

After Sunday you'll be able to buy Vega, pop a chicken in your PC and combine gaming and roasting :D

So who is the first to make a Vega grill picture with George Foreman?? :p

AMD seems to be firing on all cylinders right now, with the launch of Ryzen ThreadRipper taking place right next to AMD returning to the high-end graphics card market with Radeon RX Vega. Now we're hearing about AMD's new quad-core APU with Vega GPU technology, the Ryzen 5 2500U. AMD is expected to launch its new Raven Ridge APUs in the coming months, but it looks like the first Ryzen 2000 series processor has already been tested and rocks 4C/8T of CPU goodness, and looks like a mobile SKU.

58591_03_amd-ryzen-2500u-spotted-new-apu-rocks-vega-gpu-tech.jpg

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58591....it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tweaktown

The performance is apparently just under one of the GT4 Intel parts which has L4 cache.

Thankfully I ordered from Rainforest at the time and they got me a refund on the monitor I had at the time.

Thanks, will avoid unless it's an easy return. As for the Asus I think some of them can still be bad, I got mine s/hand to be sure and it just has a bit of glow at the top left which I can live with np.

I'm tempted by the Acer though tbf, I think the new HDR ones are gonna be nuts money.

Shame you're in Eire though, one of mine has to go soon and I just can't decide atm!! I think Gsync will win though...

I was tentatively agreeing in that development for 7nm seems to be accelerating.

That's got me thinking, AMD are producing a hell of a lot of different architectures at the moment when you combine pro and consumer cards, they still produce Hawaii based pro cards don't they, they still produce Tonga cards aswell I think ? They have the Polaris, Fiji on instinct coming, Vega. Nvidia are only producing pascal at the moment aren't they ? (and just started Volta of course). AMD's strategy seems peculiar to me.

Last edited:
What's the backlight bleeding issues like on the ROG? I saw nightmare inducing stuff on the batches from the first few months.

As for Acer, I tend you avoid them after they got their 15 dead pixel policy. Anything under 15 dead pixels is considered fine. Thankfully I ordered from Rainforest at the time and they got me a refund on the monitor I had at the time.

I've gone back to pretty much exclusively using Dell these days - seem to be one of the few that have some form of quality control and product design.

That's got me thinking, AMD are producing a hell of a lot of different architectures at the moment when you combine pro and consumer cards, they still produce Hawaii based pro cards don't they, they still produce Tonga cards aswell I think ? They have the Polaris, Fiji on instinct coming, Vega. Nvidia are only producing pascal at the moment aren't they ? (and just started Volta of course). AMD's strategy seems peculiar to me.

I really don't get AMD's strategy of late.

Volta is pretty much done and dusted really tech wise - its just a formality on the product design side and ramping to market. nVidia don't tend to linger on more than one architecture except for mobile stuff that can span 3 generations :s and the G92b lol that go reused a lot.

Last edited:
Thanks, will avoid unless it's an easy return. As for the Asus I think some of them can still be bad, I got mine s/hand to be sure and it just has a bit of glow at the top left which I can live with np.

I'm tempted by the Acer though tbf, I think the new HDR ones are gonna be nuts money.

Shame you're in Eire though, one of mine has to go soon and I just can't decide atm!! I think Gsync will win though...

Hopefully what ever you get is top notch! Problem with Eire is always the shipping, and returns. Few places cover shipping, or so much as refund shipping costs in cases of RMAs.

My LG was very good. and it was one of the launch week batches years ago.

hX2nLGg.jpg

I've gone back to pretty much exclusively using Dell these days - seem to be one of the few that have some form of quality control and product design.

I've been looking at the Dell Ultrawides myself, everything I've used from their Premium and Pro lines have been fantastic.

No 100Hz ultrawide just yet however. On the brightside they're one of the few places that also make a minimalist and decent functioning stand. The Asus ROG stand just looks so obnoxious, and takes up so much extra space.

AMD or NVIDIA.

been using the lg for quite a while now, one of the best monitors ive used so far, image quality is great and I get on ok gaming with it, but I don't think you can go wrong which ever you choose

No 100Hz ultrawide just yet however. On the brightside they're one of the few places that also make a minimalist and decent functioning stand. The Asus ROG stand just looks so obnoxious, and takes up so much extra space.

I have both the Asus PG278Q (after 3 failing and now out of warranty I've just bodged the latest one into working and use it for secondary systems) and Dell S2716DG the look and feel of the Dell in the flesh is just another league to the Asus in terms of premium feel - overall makes the ROG look like cheap slapped together tat.

Tempted to get another higher res UW when something comes along at 100Hz that takes my fancy though I keep going back to the Dell U2913WM despite the lower res as the build quality is good, no issues with backlight bleed, etc. and the image quality fantastic - tried to replace it a couple of times with 34" offerings and they just had to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom