• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-56-official-slide-performance-specs-price-leak/

AMD is using the flagship Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid cooled models in most of the benchmarks and this variant has the highest clock speeds of all. In performance tests, AMD used a reference GTX 1080 against their RX Vega 64 Liquid edition and most of the results were on par with the GeForce solution. The difference here is that AMD is calling RX Vega 64 as the more smoother option for the same price.

this could mean the air cooled version will not be as good as the 1080 and you might have to buy the liquid cooled version.

Why did AMD just not just stick with ramping up polaris given the high demands and just releasing navi next year, why waste money. They must have known how bad it performance/power/price ratio was.

Last edited:
Soldato
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-56-official-slide-performance-specs-price-leak/

this could mean the air cooled version will not be as good as the 1080 and you might have to buy the liquick cooled version.

Why did AMD just no just stick with ramping up polaris given the high demands and just releasing navi next year, why waste money. They must have know how bad it performance/power/price ration was.

As the saying goes, you got to **** with the dick you got

Caporegime
Why did AMD just no just stick with ramping up polaris given the high demands and just releasing navi next year, why waste money. They must have know how bad it performance/power/price ration was.

A part of it I'm guessing is that they're obligated to buy a certain amount of HBM2 from Hynix. I could be extremely wrong though, just a guess.

Soldato

this could mean the air cooled version will not be as good as the 1080 and you might have to buy the liquick cooled version.

giphy.gif

Man of Honour
wouldnt be surprised to see Nvidia start to bundle in a game or two with their 1070/1080/1080 ti's before Vega's available stock lands,
i dont see them lowing their prices as they have no need to, but a game or two to sweeten the deal will make more people think twice about jumping on Vega

Soldato
according to gamers nexus, they have also tightened the AVFS voltages in the launch drivers/bios. Which should help FE cards as well.

It is a little disappointing in terms of launch performance, but I still believe it will increase to the point of being ahead of the 1080 and catching up to stock 1080ti after another month or two.

I have mixed feelings, on one hand yes AMD's best efforts are disappointing as we still don't have any real competition at the top tier (1980ti/Titan Xp) but then again I never had any expectations that AMD could deliver us a product that could compete at that level and AMD delivered on my low expectations.

My biggest concern is just how long with Vega stick around for. I mean look at it, the chip is huge, the memory is expensive, the card requires a beefy VRM systems to regulate the huge amount of power it requires, this must surely add-up to slim margins for AMD. Yet this is going up against a glorified mid card 1080 which means Nvidia could potentially kill Vega tomorrow by cutting prices to a level where AMD can’t produce an RX Vega cheap enough to warrant selling. Just look at Fury that didn’t hang around for very long at and given on the face of it Vega hasn’t moved forwards from GNC (potentially even gone backwards) I can see the same happing here.

Associate
Not sure if this was posted (I expect it was very early on) but posting for those like me who might have missed it :)

That is cringe-worthy now that we've seen how it performs relative to the power it consumes (and this is in AMD cherry-picked scenarios!) - and lol at the "buttery smooth framerates" when you can see the game lagging in the background: https://youtu.be/uxVzDQtHzqo?t=9m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom