The beauty of all in one remotes (Please close, wrong section)

Soldato
Ok, so you've all heard me harp on about how good the Harmony Smart Control range is (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18631835) and while I still think it's the best option out there I'm not saying you need to go buy that.

But, something that occurred to me the other day is how useful a GOOD all in one remote is when you consider your whole AV setup.

I asked in the Amazon Fire TV thread while people were still using Kodi instead of Plex (as I personally find Plex a much better solution even after being a MASSIVE fan of XBMC originally) and it seemed that the biggest reason to stick with Kodi was its support for TV tuners (if used with an HTPC) and various channels.

The thing that just occurred to me is why I don't have this problem too. Why don't I NEED a TV tuner and an HTPC? Why am I happy with my Virgin TiVo box? Or freeview box? or hell, the built in freeview on one of my TV's that I combine with Amazon Fire TV's, Roku3's, BluRay players and various game consoles?

For me the reason this is such a non issue is the use of a fantastic all in one remote.

I don't know for sure (I never asked) but I'm willing to bet that the reason a lot of people need one device to do EVERYTHING is that they rely on a process of remotes and switches that make changing devices a complicated process.

With an all in one remote, like the Harmony Smart Control, it's almost EASIER for me to switch to the Virgin TiVo box and start using that rather than rely on a built in app which I need to scroll through menus to find.

If I need extra functionally I simply buy another device for the job and by setting up my remote the box is instantly as integrated into my setup just as easily as any additional app would be.

What do you guys think? Am I missing a trick or have I opened some people's eyes? :)

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread - re-posting in Home Theatre. Please close!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom