The bland familiarity of the English takeaways

Permabanned
I was up in Scotland last year for a month or so and couldn't help but notice how much more adventurous there takeaways are when compared to ours down South. Perhaps it's just a regional thing but here in Brum and many other places I've been to in the West Midlands the takeaway food options are miserable and samey. Like for like Chinese, Indians and pizza joints offering up awfully greasy fried chicken and soggy chips on the side. In Brum you have a lot of Jerk and piri piri places opening up but that's about as adventurous as it gets.

I've found that the with the advent of Deliveroo and Uber eats the options are a lot more exotic, but only if you live or work close to a big city.

Is it just me or does anyone else find English options incredibly poor?

Oh and just to beat the sniping yes, I can cook from home and 95% of the time do just that.

Permabanned
OP
in reference to Scotland? A lot more emphasis on well made and varied products, specifically Italian food I noticed. But the chippy's had a lot more variety too, not just the battered chocolate bar affairs. Pakora of all different kinds, Munchy boxes, more variety of fish and shellfish on the menu. All this just in relatively rural Ayrshire mind, not Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Permabanned
OP
You live in Birmingham and moaning the food is bland? Birmingham has some absoutley amazing food choices, espically takeaways!

Again, Birmingham food is awesome! Digbeth etc doing takeaway just now too. Plus there is literally an Asian district, with sooo much good food. :D

I mean you do have to go to the city, but this is the same for everywhere. Scottish, and the takeaways near my home village are awful. Live outside the city here, and again awful. Live near any city, amazing.

I don't live in the city centre. I did mention in the OP that if that where the case there would be plenty more options, as I image there would if you lived in or relatively near any big City. Birmingham is pretty damn big though outside of it's centre :p

Back
Top Bottom